Invisible main menu items in macOS 13 guest OS

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by AlexanderS50, Dec 7, 2022.

Tags:
  1. AlexanderS50

AlexanderS50 Bit poster

Hello everybody!

I have a macbook book pro M1 with macos 12.3.1. I copied the existed macos 12 VM, which worked fine, and upgraded it to macOS 13. And now the items in the main menu in the guest OS are invisible. If I point mouse cursor over the main menu where is some item is placed, the corresponding item menu is shown, but the item name is still invisible. That looks quite weird.

Could anybody please tell me is it known bug in Parallels or something else? Are there known solutions for that issue?

Thank in advance,
    Aleksandr

BradR5 likes this.
  2. BradR5

BradR5 Junior Member

I'm having the same issue - Parallels 18.1 on M1 MBP running Ventura on the host OS (13.1) and the guest. I've tried reducing transparency, turning off window tinting, clean installs of ventura guests, and reinstalling parallels. Nothing fixes the menu bar text. All the sub menus look fine.

3. atritium

atritium Bit poster

Same issue on an Intel iMac host running 12.6.2 OS (Monterey) with Parallels 17.1.6 running guest OS 13.1 (Ventura). The top menu items are invisble, but the drop down menus become visible when clicking blindly.

I expected it was due to an older Mac OS running the more recent guest (Ventura) in Parallels. But it sounds like updating the host to Ventura might not change anything. M1 vs. Intel doesn't seem to be the issue either, and it occurs in both Parallels 18.1 and 17.1.6.

4. BradR5

BradR5 Junior Member

This is very much a Parallels Desktop issue - not OS related. I'm running Ventura 13.2 on host and guest, Parallels 18.1.1 (53328), and have reinstalled, fixed permissions, created new VMs to no avail.

5. LucB3

LucB3 Bit poster

I have exact the same problem on a MacBook Pro M1 16" running macOS Ventura 13.1 with the guest system also being Venture 13.1.
    My Parallels version is 18.1.1
    After a little research it doesn't seem to be gone.
    If you make your background the right color it becomes visible, just slightly but visible.
    Scherm­afbeelding 2023-01-25 om 14.08.50.png

6. BradR5

BradR5 Junior Member

So I did figure out that on my internal MBP display, the menu shows up properly. I only have issues on my external 4k display.

7. BradR5

BradR5 Junior Member

8. StallT

StallT Bit poster

I toggled from "dark mode" to "light mood" in the Appearance settings... (instead of just using Auto). At first it did not look like it did anything, but after a few clicks I could see the text when it "dark" mode.