IP of Host in Host-Only Networking?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by thomasperi, Apr 25, 2007.

1. thomasperi

thomasperi Bit poster

As I understand it, Host-Only Networking allows connections between the virtual machine and the host machine. What is the IP address of the host machine from the virtual machine's point of view? I've tried the host machine's actual IP address, and that works only under Shared Networking, not under Host-Only.

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

I'm pretty sure it has none. They should be fully severed from one another as far as that goes... But, that is just my understanding.

3. thomasperi

thomasperi Bit poster

From page 120 of the user guide:
    "Select Host-only networking if you don't want your virtual machine to be accessible from outside your Macintosh computer, or network interfaces of your Mac are off. When you set this option, your virtual machine will be connected to host computer and other virtual machines, but will be disconnected from Internet. Creating Host-Only Network (page 102) topic discusses how to configure a host-only network."

From page 102:
    "Parallels Desktop provides a closed network accessible only to Mac OS X and virtual machines running on it. The Mac OS X is connected to this network via the Parallels Host-Guest adapter installed along with Parallels Desktop."

The "Host-Guest adapter" is not mentioned anywhere else in the user manual.

4. constant

constant Forum Maven

In the host, look for a listing of network adaptors and their respective details.

I don't know how to do this on a mac, but if you can get a command prompt(don't know if you can do that either), then given that it is mostly BSD there should be an "ifconfig" command to do it.

Whatever way it can be done, you are looking for the virtual adaptor, which should be "vnic".

5. thomasperi

thomasperi Bit poster

Aha! "vnic" isn't in there, but I looked for an interface that had an address in the range Parallels uses for Host-Only. It turned out to be "en2", and that did the trick! Thanks!