Irritating startup behavior - 5160

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by rickbsgu, Nov 2, 2007.

1. rickbsgu

rickbsgu Member

I backed up my VM's, yesterday - went to restart them, and Parallels couldn't see them. It prompted me to create a new machine. When I hit 'Cancel' (hoping the dialog would just go away so I can open a machine), Parallels shuts down!!

So, I can't open a currently existing machine.

I had to go through the motions of creating a dummy VM and let Parallels run it before I could get to the menu to open my already existent VM's.

Seems like one of those irritating situations where the software is trying to anticipate me a bit too much, IMHO.

A fix would be in order.

rickb

2. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

did it happen only once or it repeats every time you start PD?
    Try to repair disc permissions and then reboot your Mac. If it doesn't help, reinstall Parallels Desktop.

Best regards,
    Alicia.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  3. rickbsgu

rickbsgu Member

It happens now and again. Normally, I leave the VM's running, so maybe it is happening every time.
    Repair disk permissions. Elaborate, please? Something with disk utility, or just setting permission on the VM directory?

BTW, my VM directory is not in the default location.

rickb

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2007
  4. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

it's like that: Browse the Applications folder -> Open Utilities and launch Disk Utility -> Select Macintosh HD on the left tab and click the Repair Disk Permissions button.

Best regards,
    Alicia.

5. rickbsgu

rickbsgu Member

Got stung by this, again - had to update the system which involved wiping the disk. Reinstalled Parallels and, of course, it couldn't see where I had stuck my VMs, so it just blissfully prompted me to create a new one. Couldn't get into the menu to set the default location until I did.

Don' like it.

rickb

6. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

have you moved your VM folder while reinstalling Parallels?
    Have you tried to create a new Vm using your existing .hdd?