I'm recovering from a catastrophic computer failure. Lost everything (except my data backups, of course). New Mac Pro, fresh install of Leopard. I now have all my apps re-installed except Parallels 3.0. I swung by parallels.com to check for any upgrades, and discovered that 4.0 is out.
I see that when you upgrade from v3 to v4, you have to convert your virtual machine image to the new format, reinstall Parallels tools, etc. I don't even have a copy of my old virtual machine image (nothing on there I needed to save), and I would prefer to just install 4.0 from scratch. But at the upgrade price, of course, since I already own 3.0.
The upgrade info says that you don't have to uninstall 3.0 before upgrading. But it doesn't say if you have to install 3.0 before upgrading.
So, my question: Can I buy the v4 upgrade and install it without installing v3 first? Or do I have to install v3 first, then install the upgrade, then convert the fresh blank v3 virtual machine to the v4 format, then re-install Parallels tools, etc.?
I see that when you upgrade from v3 to v4, you have to convert your virtual machine image to the new format, reinstall Parallels tools, etc. I don't even have a copy of my old virtual machine image (nothing on there I needed to save), and I would prefer to just install 4.0 from scratch. But at the upgrade price, of course, since I already own 3.0.
The upgrade info says that you don't have to uninstall 3.0 before upgrading. But it doesn't say if you have to install 3.0 before upgrading.
So, my question: Can I buy the v4 upgrade and install it without installing v3 first? Or do I have to install v3 first, then install the upgrade, then convert the fresh blank v3 virtual machine to the v4 format, then re-install Parallels tools, etc.?