Is audio supported for Linux guest?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by DaveR6, Apr 17, 2021.

1. DaveR6

DaveR6 Bit poster

I'm still unable to get sound output working for a Linux VM using Parallels Desktop 16.5.0 on Apple M1. Despite installing and reinstalling Parallels Tools, both Ubuntu and Fedora VMs show only "Dummy Output" sound device.

Am I doing something wrong or is Linux audio output not supported?
    Is it on the Parallels Desktop roadmap or should I look elsewhere to host a Linux VM?

I see a couple threads with similar problems but can't find a definitive answers, either here or in the Knowledge Base.
    Cheers, Dave.

inkognitive likes this.
  2. inkognitive

inkognitive Bit poster

I get the same issue on my Macbook Pro m1 . So far, the suggested troubleshooting methods did not help.
    output from:

$ inxi -SMA
    Audio: Message: No ARM data found for this feature.

$ aplay -l
    aplay: device_list:274: no soundcards found...

ANDRESM3 likes this.
  3. HarriV

HarriV Bit poster

Hi. I have very similar problem. Hopefully we get fix soon. I have clean install of MacOS on MacMini and installed Ubuntu with parallels "one click" wizard (from start screen)

4. BonazziR

BonazziR Bit poster

With VM Ubuntu (OS provided by Parallel) I was able to make the audio work only with an old device I had, the iMic (dated usb sound card); once the user session is activated I have to physically reconnect the device each time.
    I have to overcome problems with usb not activating.

5. bowwave

bowwave Bit poster

same problem here. inxi -SMA shows No ARM data and lshw -C mutlimedia shows nothing. VM options set to Ouput = Default but when you look at Sound settings, it only shows Dummy Output.

6. GustavoN1

GustavoN1 Junior Member

Dave, if you wouldn't mind me deviating a little bit, what kernel version did you have on Fedora when you successfully installed the parallel tools? I get failures with all kernels I see available for f33 and f34.

7. DaveR6

DaveR6 Bit poster

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried a cheap USB sound card and that worked fine, which is better than nothing. Of course, I'd prefer and hope for a working sound driver for the MacBook speakers to come along, but I guess I can tolerate using a USB dongle in the meantime.

8. BonazziR

BonazziR Bit poster

[QUOTE = "DaveR6, post: 884852, member: 6747947"] Grazie per il suggerimento. Ho provato una scheda audio USB economica e ha funzionato bene, il che è meglio di niente. Ovviamente, preferirei e spero che arrivi un driver audio funzionante per gli altoparlanti del MacBook, ma immagino di poter tollerare l'utilizzo di un dongle USB nel frattempo. [/ QUOTE]
    Dave, imagine I connected my new Airpods Max via cable ....

9. HenkK2

HenkK2 Bit poster

Thanks BonazziR for the heads-up on USB.
    Audio is working fine in a Debian GNU/Linux VM on my M1 Mac Mini + LG 24" UltraFine 4K monitor thru the on-board LG UltraFIne Display Audio (analog or digital).
    This is USB-based, so you need to give Parallels permission to control this device. In fact, all of the screen controls can be assigned to Parallels as wel. :):):)

10. AnonUKuser

AnonUKuser Junior Member

USB connection seems to be the only way to get audio working with Linux VMs at the moment. For instance, I've just configured my USB headset to work with Kali.

11. Hello guys, could you reproduce the issue and collect the tech report right after that please?
    Also please do not forget to post the report's ID here.
    We are looking forward to your reply and will be glad to help.

12. mmika

mmika Pro

Gk_ and inkognitive like this.
  13. MikeR20

MikeR20 Bit poster

when can we likely get sound support in ubuntu anyone?

14. Gk_

Gk_ Bit poster

I am also exited for a solution a solution on m1 chip :)

15. Mojster

Mojster Bit poster

I would also be very happy if we could have sound in Ubuntu! :)

16. brhersh

brhersh Bit poster

+1 No sound on my fedora 33/34 or ubuntu linux VMs on my M1 mac mini

17. BonazziR

BonazziR Bit poster

18. brhersh

brhersh Bit poster

I saw. Buying something additional to add to my setup doesn't work for me. I already have speakers. They're already plugged in. I just want them to work.

19. HenkK2

HenkK2 Bit poster

Let me just be a bit more precise.
    There is at first no audio when running that Debian GNU/Linux VM, as many here have experienced.
    In a running VM hit the USB Controller and it shows in my case the presence of "LG UltraFine Display Audio #5". Choosing it enables audio (and the device also shows in the output of the 'lsusb' command.
    This assignment can be made permanent in the USB Connection Preferences, so audio is available right away after starting the VM. :):):)

20. SantiagoG1

SantiagoG1 Bit poster

I don't like the idea of needing an additioinal USB device in order to get sound working but fortunately you can actually get sound in Ubuntu without this requirement, this is because Ubuntu, like many other distros, uses pulseaudio, which can be configured as a service on your MacOS and as a client inside Ubuntu. So for now until the Parallels team gives us native support, what you can do is the following:

First install pulseaudio on your host, in order to do this I used homebrew:

Code:
    brew install pulseaudio
    Next edit your pulseaudio config file, if you installed through homebrew, just edit the file /opt/homebrew/etc/pulse/default.pa

Code:
    sudo nano /opt/homebrew/etc/pulse/default.pa
    In this file you should find 2 lines like this:

Code:
    ### Network access (may be configured with paprefs, so leave this commented
    ### here if you plan to use paprefs)
    #load-module module-esound-protocol-tcp
    #load-module module-native-protocol-tcp

Uncomment them and replace them to something like this:

Code:
    ### Network access (may be configured with paprefs, so leave this commented
    ### here if you plan to use paprefs)
    load-module module-esound-protocol-tcp auth=anonymous=1
    load-module module-native-protocol-tcp auth-ip-acl=127.0.0.1;10.211.55.0/24
    Replacing 10.221.55.0/24 with your Parallels virtual network IP range. For security reasons I do not recommend using your network adapter's IP range but your Parallels virtual network one, so noone should be able to connect from outside.

Now you can start the pulseaudio service, if you want it to work everytime you boot your guest, you can start it as a service with this command:

Code:
    brew services start pulseaudio
    Now on your Ubuntu just edit your /etc/pulse/client.conf file to point to your host service:

Code:
    sudo nano /etc/pulse/client.conf
    Uncomment the default-server line and add the IP address of your host on the virtual device network:

Code:
    default-server = tcp:10.211.55.2
    Reboot and voilá.

Attached Files: