Is it OK to import Bootcamp Windows 7 OEM to a VM and then upgrade to Windows 10?

Terry2

Junior Member
I'm a total Newbie in Parallels. My Mac is a mini (late 2012) running High Sierra. I've set up my first VM in Parallels Desktop 13 using the Bootcamp partition as its HD. Two important apps run only in Windows, and I've been a slave to the Bootcamp routine for too long. I should have made the leap to Parallels a long time ago. Anyway, things seem to work as advertised, and I could leave well enough alone for awhile. However, I'd like to move ahead and set up a second VM but this time _import_ the OS, apps and data files. If all proves stable, I'd like to eliminate the Bootcamp partition and delete the first VM.

Why? In addition to the increasingly annoying hassle of Bootcamp, I'm worried about Windows 7 as it approaches its end. And, I understand Bootcamp and the 64 bit world of High Sierra are going to be incompatible.

In addition to any observations on why my plans for this second VM might/might not be a good idea, I'd welcome any thoughts about being able to import my antivirus (AVG Internet Protection) -- it works fine in my first VM now.

Thanks.
 
Back
Top