Is Parallels solid enough to replace VPC TODAY?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Robster, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Robster

Robster Hunter

Hi

Sorry for such a basic question but I am running VPC which is slow and I am considering buying a new Intel MacBook Pro ONLY because of Parallels.

Is the current release ready for Prime time use or should I delay my purchase decision for a few weeks?

Robin

2. ivel

ivel Member

depends on what you're trying to do with it. I have seen a lot in the forums about OBS problems and such...but i don't have a usb printer or gps device similar to others that are experiencing problems. Please let us know what you do with VPC so people can respond and let you know how much luck they had with said application.
    For example i use Dreamweaver, Office, and Autocad with out problems...but you may do other things.

Hope this helps,
    -Levi

3. hansderycke

hansderycke Member

You're not supposed to use beta software in a production environment, but I've been using Parallels for about two months now to run SAPgui at work. It hasn't crashed a single time.

4. haralds

haralds Member

It's working reasonably well, if you do not need USB support.

But VPC had a lot of issues with THAT, too.

Be prepared in that it is not possible to convert VPC image files to Parallels. It might be possible to use something like Acronis TrueImage, but I have not tried that.

5. haralds

haralds Member

PS

It is MUCH faster ;-)

6. Olivier

Olivier Forum Maven

You're not supposed to use beta software in a production environment, but I've been using Parallels since about beta 3 (around third week of april) for doing professional Windows development using Microsoft Visual Studio 2005. All this on a MacBook Pro 15" 2.0 GHz with 2 GB RAM and 100 GB 7200 RPM HD. Except for the Windows development work, I do everything else in Mac OS X. I only had some keyboard mapping issues (using an european accented keyboard, not the stock US qwerty one).

For my needs this is indeed a screamer configuration, like Steve J. said in January. ;-)

7. LorenFinkelstein

LorenFinkelstein Member

Go ahead. Parallels works great, and even if you had any problems with it, your worst case scenario would be that you would need to use bootcamp to boot into windows instead.

And the speed benefits gained both in the Mac OS and in Windows far outweigh the minimal time the reboot would take.

8. netdog

netdog Hunter

Just be sure your devices are supported. You may find that they already are. If so, Parallels is great.

9. macgebruiker

macgebruiker Hunter

I thought that VPC didn't run on any IntelMac (yet).

I used to run VPC on a G5 iMac and there it performed reasonable. It feels a bit sluggish though.

In general it runs fine however there are devices (like printers) that do not always work.

10. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook Pro

I too am using Parallels for development in WinXP. Not a single problem that I can't trace to something else and yes it is MUCH MUCH faster than VPC.

11. Sheppy

Sheppy Hunter

I've been using Parallels with no problems other than minor things (system delays while resuming a suspended VM) for a couple of months now. I consider it a vastly better solution -- even with the few remaining issues -- than VPC ever was.

12. macgebruiker

macgebruiker Hunter

On the subject of "system delays while resuming". Do you mean the effect whereby it looks like the total system is frozen?

If so I have the same problem but also have that with another app (Rapid Weaver) when very large files (> 150 Mb) are opened or closed.Also I had that same problem with my G5 iMac.

Till now no one has been able to solve this or pinpoint to a solution.

13. Sheppy

Sheppy Hunter

Yes, that's the problem I'm referring to.

Doesn't happen to me when using RapidWeaver though, although my largest RW file is about 25 MB, I think.

14. macgebruiker

macgebruiker Hunter

It doesn't start until files get way over 100Mb.

15. qednick

qednick Bit poster

I now use my MBP full time thanks to Parallels. However, I don't need to worry about USB, etc. - in fact I haven't even tried that yet. BTW, Remote Desktop *does* definitely work on the intel macs. That's what I was using on my MBP before I started using Parallels instead.

16. Robster

Robster Hunter

Well I got my MacBook Pro today and have parallels installed and running.

Performance compared to VPC is superb.

The one thing causing me greif is printing.

VPC's printer driver that enabled me to print to whichever printer I had selected on the Mac side was a godsend and I only wish it was in Parallels.........

Otherwise seems a brilliant product.

Robin

17. macgebruiker

macgebruiker Hunter

I had same problem. Solved it as follows:
    1, Download the Bonjour.exe from Apple's site.
    2. Run it in XP/Parallels.
    3. Do not select the suggested driver but select the "Generic/postscript" driver.

For me, it resulted in a perfect working printer (Epson ACL 1100).

18. engyew

engyew Member

Well, I am running Windoze XP SP2 on a 2Gb Macbook and I am using Cisco VPN, MS Office to my company's Exchange server. Oracle Discoverer 10g web form and the Discoverer app, ODBC to Excel refreshing 13Mb+ spreadsheets. :O I can connect to my company's network public folders and print to my company's network printers. I can copy my stuff to a USB flash drive to give to my colleagues. I have a bluetooth mouse that work well. I don't need anything else! :)

It hasn't crashed once. Its fast, refreshes my spreadsheets faster than any of my Dell laptops. Though I suspect memory fragmentation is a problem since Outlook runs slower as time goes by.

I use it in Full Screen mode and I have Adium (UniBin) as IM. Growl pops up my IM messages when I am working in Full Screen. When I get bored of work (which comes often) I minimize Windoze and get onto the Mac-side.

It's the bee's knees! :) Thanks Parallels!!

19. efoo

efoo Bit poster

Tried using Acronis TrueImage Workstation 9.1 with Universal Restore to move the VPC image over to Parallels. It worked, but I needed to change the registry to work around a stop 0x0000007B error when XP SP2 rebooted, by following the steps in "More Information" in "http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314082/". Because of the hardware changes, XP needs reactivation.

20. Robster

Robster Hunter

Hi

Can you tell me how easy this really was please?

I don't want to pay for Trueimage for the one time I will use it, if at the end of it I cannot get past the STOP error and being a long time Mac user the registry in Windows is something I have never had to touch before.

It looks DAMN COMPLICATED...... :eek:(