Is the network card _really_ an 8029?

Discussion in 'Other Virtual machines' started by Keith42, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Keith42

Keith42 Bit poster

Hi there,

This is my first post so hopefully I've picked the right forum.

I am currently attempting to diagnose a problem with the virtual 8029 ethernet card. My guest OS is not supported (QNX 6.4.0) but it's so close to working...it's just this bizarre network glitch.

I have noticed posts elsewhere about the networking. Apparently several guest OSs appear to fail. Does anyone know if this virtual version differs slightly from the physical hardware version? There appears to be something funky going on. In my case I get 100% CPU usage by the VM (i.e. Parallels). The VM hangs. Then it stops.

I have managed to get as far a a network address but when I ping I get the hang for 45 seconds then a burst of responses all of which are duplicated. Very weird.

I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to be wasting my time. If there is a quirk in the emulated version that other drivers work around it would be nice to know.

Ideally if I had the source code Parallels uses for their native driver (I assume it's not stock NE2000) that would be even better.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,
    Keith

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Yes, it is really 8029, you can install its driver on Windows and Linux machine

3. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

No, there is no any quirk for the card. So far no any problems detected with supported guests.
    You could try to disable ACPI support for the VM by typing in the VM Configuration->Hardware->CPU->System Flags the line
    devices.acpi=0
    (make sure that 'Show advanced settings' checkbox is set)

4. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Oops! Sorry, are you running the Parallels Desktop 3.0 or Parallels Destkop 4.0? My post is related to the 4.0, please ignore if you are on 3.0