Is this all we can expect?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Hellrider, May 31, 2006.

1. Hellrider

Hellrider Junior Member

Hi,

The main driver to use (and pre-order) PD is the promised USB support. Unfortunatly for my Siemens GigaSet ISDN phone system isn't a Mac driver availible. Therefore I was looking forward every new release that my USB devices are supported. But still in RC2 there is no way to get it working. Compared with VM-Ware the USB support is kind a joke - but a bad one. Sorry to say but VM-Vare has got a verry, verry nice USB support - what can I expect for the final release of PD?

Cheers
    Frank

2. constant

constant Forum Maven

I've looked for the USB support in the OSX version of VMware, but I just can't find it.

3. david

david Member

Neither can I, please post a link to VMware's OS X version, and if possible a list of supported devices.

4. Hellrider

Hellrider Junior Member

OK - my comparison is lightly unfair. I was talking about the VMWare for Windows hosts.
    If I understand you correctly you will claim that implementing USB support for Mac is much harder than for Windows hosts. But the fact remains to have a very good USB support is essential for me.

Cheers
    Frank

5. Xandrios

Xandrios Bit poster

Vmware has done 8+ years of testing, I sure believe their USB support is great.

However, they do not have an OS X version yet. And their windows version (As long as we are comparing Apples and Oranges) is also priced in a totally different league: $200.

So it is actually pretty simple: Parallels is the very best available right now. Plus it is the most affordable. And please keep in mind that we are still talking about a Beta....patches can/will still be done before the final version is released.

I really think that Parallels has done a great job, especially since they are only working on this for what, maybe a half a year? I've bought my licence...even though my OS X computer has yet to be delivered.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2006
  6. oxonian

oxonian Member

Original Poster: your thread title is practically a troll. I appreciate that it is frustrating for you that a specific very important USB device is not supported. But saying "Is this all we can expect" for a product that most of us have become big fans of... well it is not suprising that you've got a bunch of replies that are using irony to point out that a product that exists (Parallels) is infinitely more useful than one which does not (OSX VMWare).

In your case it may be that you'll have to wait for VMWare. But don't be disrespectful toward Parallels' efforts in your frustration.

7. Hellrider

Hellrider Junior Member

@oxonian:

Sorry, it wasn't my goal to be respectless to Parallels at all.
    However they told RC2 will be the last verion before release.
    Therefore my question is will there still a significant improvement in USB support happen?

Cheers
    Frank

8. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Did you contact them with your problem and provide enough information about your configuration that they would be able to recreate the problem in a lab? If not then it may not get fixed. They can only fix what they know is broken and can reproduce.

dp

9. wesley

wesley Pro

Where can I read about this? It looked to be as if there would be RC3 before GA.

10. swotam

swotam Bit poster

It's in the first sentance of the Blog posting on the RC2 release.

"Parallels Desktop for Mac Release Candidate 2, the final test version of the product before we go "live", is ready for download!"

11. wesley

wesley Pro

Ah, cool. Thanks for pointing out.