iSight camera working in 3186

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by rlockhart, Mar 5, 2007.

1. rlockhart

rlockhart Junior Member

OK, I've got the camera working. The problem was so simple that it falls under "DOH!"

1. Install Boot Camp Drivers (1.1.2)
    2. Shut down--do not restart--your Parallels VM and then shutdown the Mac.
    3. Restart both.
    4. On the Parallels menu, click Devices/USB-Built-In iSight
    5. Allow Windows to install the iSight drivers
    6. Turn it off (Devices/Built-in iSight), then on again, and the camera will be available in Windows!!
    7. Click off the above to allow the camera to be used in OS X

Most excellent!!

Ron Lockhart

2. MrMacHead

MrMacHead Member

I read your procedure and decided to take some shortcuts.

1.Placed the unzipped iSight drivers folder on the Windows desktop
    2.Selected Devices - iSight from Parallels
    3.Told the Windows installer where the drivers were and let the installation complete
    4.Went to the Scanners & Camera Control Panel and there was the icon for my iSight
    5.Double-clicked on that icon and there was my satisfied face in the window and a green light on my built-in iSight!!

No restarts required for me. Thanks much for the tips, Ron...

3. NosillaCast

NosillaCast Member

I don't have Boot Camp itself installed, is it possible to somehow install the iSight driver into Windows that's already in Parallels? I found the package contents and isolated the iSight driver, but I'm not sure which file might open in Windows. if this has to be installed into Boot Camp then I'm doomed.

4. birdieman

birdieman Bit poster

If you check the forum enough, yes you can just install the bootcamp drivers and do not have to install boot camp program for your isight. First download bootcamp first , and open in ultilities -- bootcamp assistant --- and get the drivers file into the shared folder (also make sure you turn on the shared folder in parallels). Then when the XP is loaded through Parallel, then click on the mac drivers.exe and you should be able to get the isight to work as the 3186/3188 is build with USB 2.0.

I hope that this helps.

5. lopsl

lopsl Bit poster

I don't know how you guys got it to work. Try as I might with 3186/3188, all I get is that Windows XP recognizes the isight, loads the driver and at the end says there is a problem with starting/initialising the isight.
    My configuration is MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X 10.4.8, guest OS is windows xp pro sp1 in a parallels VM.
    I'm not sure if I have the same bootcamp drivers as you. Where did you get them from ?

6. MrMacHead

MrMacHead Member

I don't know if this will make a difference for you, but I did a Google search for the driver. Got the iSight driver from this link...

http://www.maconlysource.com/?p=668

7. stef

stef Bit poster

Devices => Built in iSight

If I turn on Built in iSight at Devices, nothing happens... Windows doesn't ask me to install anything. Just nothing... Any tips?

8. NosillaCast

NosillaCast Member

I got almost that far (drivers into a shared folder) but I can't find a mac drivers.exe file. I did this two different ways - one just opening the iSightDriver.pkg file, and also using the link from Mr. Machead, and neither of them have a .exe file in them that I can find. I see in the package file iSightDriver.sizes, iSigthDriver.bom, iSightDriver.pax.gz but nothing .exe. In Mr. MacHead's file, I see 5 files starting wiht iSight - .cat, .inf, 2 each with .dll and 2 each of .sys.

I tried double clicking on every one of these in Windows but none of them did anything.

what am I doing wrong?

9. MrMacHead

MrMacHead Member

When Windows recognizes a new piece of hardware, it should start up a wizard to assist in the driver installation. When it asks if it should go out to the internet to look for a driver, you should see another option to use the required drivers you have on a disk or your hard drive. The iSight driver folder you obtained has all the required files for the Windows installer to use. No .exe file required.

I merely directed the installer to use the contents of the isight folder that I had placed on the Windows desktop.

10. birdieman

birdieman Bit poster

Get the bootcamp from Apple not Mr. Machead, http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

and then you can install the Bootcamp assistant. Once you done that, double click on Bootcamp assistant, go to Utility -- > Save Macintosh Drivers To Folders ... ---> Save it to the common folder in Mac/XP (as long as you turn it on). You will have all the drivers you need and one of them will be iSight.

11. rhind

rhind Member

I'm using bootcamp 1.1.2 beta drivers. Are you really running XP SP1? I thought a requirement for bootcamp drivers and parallels was XP SP 2. May be worth a try.

Russell