iSight, Windows Live Messenger

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Kila, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Kila

Kila Bit poster

One of the main reasons for using Parallel's Desktop is the ability to use the built-in iSight webcam with Windows Live Messenger. I originally had a pre-Santa Rosa MacBook Pro, which resolution is 307k. Everything worked perfectly.

I got the opportunity to upgrade to a Santa-Rosa MacBook Pro and did so. But, since the new MacBook Pro's iSight camera has a higher resolution (1.3MP), whenever I use Windows Live Messenger, the camera appears zoomed in.

I reckon it is only using 307k of the 1.3M pixels available, hence why it appears zoomed in.

If I go to My Computer --> and select iSight from there, the zoom and resolution is normal. Yet when I use iSight with MSN Messenger, it gets zoomed in.

I don't know if it is to do with the driver that allows iSight to function on Windows or a bug, but it causes problems as I have to push my MBP right to the end of my desk and sit back just so my face is in the picture!

I have yet to try this on Boot Camp and see if the problem persists.

2. askovro1

askovro1 Bit poster

I have not been 100% successful at getting the built in isight to work on my MBPro. I, too, have the latest model, with the Santa-Rosa chip set, running 10.5.1 with all the latest updates and Parallels 5582. I have enabled the isight device via Parallels device menu, and have installed the drivers by running the bootcamp install in the windows vm. Windows is XPSP2.

If I go to My Computer, the device appears as a USB device and if I double click it, it will open up and will work properly. However, no other application can successfully work with it, although they all believe they have some video input device.

In Device Manager under Windows, I have an iSight device, but it is listed under system devices, and not under USB devices or where I might expect to see it. And there is no reference to the isight device from the applications, they only reference it as "usb device".

Anyone able to lend me some direction here? By the way, I have tried this under bootcamp native, booting directly into windows, and it also doesn't work. Same story.

Thanks!

...Alex
    MacBook Pro 2.2Ghz Core 2 Duo OSX 10.5.1
    Parallels V5582
    Windows XPSP2

3. onfire1083

onfire1083 Bit poster

I am also having exactly the same problem with Kila... But mine is iMac.
    Can anyone help us to solve the problem?

4. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

5. onfire1083

onfire1083 Bit poster

Thx John @ Parallels
    I HAVE installed the driver many times, and it kept saying that the driver was successfully installed. However, every time I connect the isight with the parallels, the windows show "new device found" and ask me to install a driver. And, I can actually use my cam normally in the USB device under My Computer, but when I use the cam in Windows Live Messager, the image was like zooming x3.

6. John@Parallels

Actually it is normal, as USB devices connecting to bus using different entries,
    as for Zooming, maybe some settings in messenger itself, I experimented with skype and AOL messenger and it is ok

7. onfire1083

onfire1083 Bit poster

So... do u mean u also got the same problem as me when u were using MSN?
    If yes... can your group solve the problem??
    or is it a problem that parallels group cannot solve?
    Thx

8. John@Parallels

I meant, I am using Windows only for testing problems, and didn't check it, in AOl, and Skype everything is working.
    Tyr to use another software for iSight, I suppose it is only in MSN settings

9. onfire1083

onfire1083 Bit poster

Thank you for your reply...
    Would you mind also check if it is working normally in MSN? So that I can know is it only my problem or it is a problem that everyone would face.
    And, if you can try it out, you can also help me in the setting.
    Thank you very much

10. John@Parallels

Yep, did it , no problem, no Zoomed image - it is normal, try to check msn video setings

11. onfire1083

onfire1083 Bit poster

I cannot change the settings in msn...
    the "zoom" one is in gray color..

12. BørgeO

BørgeO Bit poster

same

i have the same problem. the msn app shows me zoomed like x3.

its not possible to edit the camera settings in msn, its all grey.