Issue Installing Parallels Tools on CentOS 6

Discussion in 'Linux Guest OS Discussion' started by parkernathan, Dec 9, 2011.

1. parkernathan

parkernathan Bit poster

I'm trying to install Parallels Tools on CentOS 6, but when I do, I receive the following error message (see attached file).

The VM doesn't seem to be connected to the Internet when I first boot it up, but when I go up to the system tray and click on the network icon, it seems to be able to connect to the Internet, and I can browse the web in Firefox, so I believe I am getting an Internet connection to the VM.

What do I need to to to get Parallels Tools installed on this VM?

Here's the specifics of my Parallels configuration:

Linux Distro: CentOS
    Version: 6.0
    Architecture: x86-64
    Parallels Version: Parallels Desktop for Mac 7
    Parallels Build: 7.0.15052 (Revision 710728, Nov 11, 1011)
    Host OS: Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2
    Host Hardware: iMac (Mid 2011) 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM (3GB allocated to VM)

If you need any more info, let me know.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. parkernathan

parkernathan Bit poster

There needs to be a way to can SPAM on this discussion board. That "reply" didn't help me one bit.

3. John Burk

John Burk Bit poster

Do a "yum install kernel" when logged in as root, reboot, and try to run the installer again. Just worked for me.

You will already have the kernel sources installed, but your gcc probably got automatically upgraded by the PTools installer, so the kernel src package and the gcc lib versions will be mismatched now.

4. parkernathan

parkernathan Bit poster

Thanks for the info. Turns out my version of CentOS was too new (unsupported). Once I got a supported edition, all went well.

5. ShirazM

ShirazM Bit poster

So, what's the supported version then?

6. parkernathan

parkernathan Bit poster

Version 5 works great. Not sure if Parallels has been updated for 6 yet or not.

7. allurem

allurem Bit poster

Before installing Parallels Tools in a Linux guest OS, make sure that you have the gcc package and kernel sources installed. If these packages are not installed, the Parallels Tools installer will worn you. The kernel sources package name depends on the type of Linux operating system you use: it can be kernel-devel, or kernel-headers, or something else. For more information about the kernel sources, refer to the Installing the GCC package and Kernel Sources in Linux section.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2012
  8. TyroneA

TyroneA Bit poster

I am running Parallels 7.0.15 and have a new CentOS 6.3 guess VM. I am trying to get a share with native mac. I read that I must first install Parallels tools within CentOS. How do I install Parallels Tools in CentOS?