Issues installing Parallels on 10.5

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by thedoc, Nov 4, 2007.

1. dengosha

dengosha Bit poster

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

2. branthenne

branthenne Bit poster

I did not see any express installation option - what step is that? All I see is which location to install to.

3. dengosha

dengosha Bit poster

When the install disk loads up you get 3 choices

Check the PDF manual that comes with the software, pages 57 to 65. Software is called Parallels Desktop for Mac User Guide.pdf. In the section when the Windows Express Option Shows, you will see beolow it Typical and then Custom--just select Custom.
    Windows Express Installation
    "1 Start Parallels Desktop. Click the New button in the Select virtual machine dialog or select
    New from the File menu. The Welcome window of OS Installation Assistant appears.
    2 Select the Windows Express option. Click Next.
    Windows Express Installation
    1 Start Parallels Desktop. Click the New button in the Select virtual machine dialog or select
    New from the File menu. The Welcome window of OS Installation Assistant appears.
    2 Select the Windows Express option. Click Next."

Until I seleccted Custom Installation I could not install the program as it kept freezing and hanging up
    Hope this helps.

4. branthenne

branthenne Bit poster

Ahh... here's the confusion. I am talking about installing parallels itself, not installing a virtualized operating system. The first post in this thread seems to be referring to the issue I have - which is that the installer for parallels (launched when you download and run Parallels-Desktop-5582-Mac-en.dmg) hangs as soon as it starts to install itself. I appreciate your help - too bad I didn't pay you for the software - since I still haven't received a lick of help from the recipients of my money

5. Crimson_Orguss

Crimson_Orguss Bit poster

This is the answer..

"I managed to solve my issue with the installer hanging in 10.5. I turned off Internet Sharing (I had my WiFi setup to share out the ethernet connection).

As soon as that was turned off, the installtion preflight went very quickly.

For anyone who's intersted, you can tell where the installer is stuck by looking at the Activity Monitor - put it in the heirachial view - and look at the processes started by the installer. You'll see that "Internet Sharing" is listed (the actually binary is in /user/libexec/InternetSharing"). I couldn't tell (by looking at the preflight script) why they were calling this program, and I could get it to run via the command line myself... but turning off that feature in the Sharing preference pane and then restarting the installer fixed the issue.
    "

ebaur is right , even though I didn't have internet sharing enabled at all , My installation would immediately hang. I checked out Activity Monitor and saw Internet sharing within the tree of Installer. By quitting the Internet Sharing process the Installer would continue right away . The Internet Sharing process appears at some point at then end again and you would need to terminate it again.

Even though you may not have internet sharing enabled the Process Internet Sharing appears and you should definitely get rid of it.

I tested this with 5582 and 5160.
    I run Windows using my Boot Camp Partition. I had Parallels installed in Tiger and I upgraded to Leopard , keeping my existing settings and software.

6. cmaryfitz

cmaryfitz Bit poster

I've got issues

I've read all the posts on this thread and i'm not sure if anyone is having the same problem i am. I'm pretty sure I've messed up my brand new laptop. I've got a MacBook (not a pro) running leopard. I installed Parallels build 5160, that went fine. I installed Windows XP using the express installation and that went fine, but now when I open Parallels, and it opens just fine, it won't boot Windows. It just says "Booting from hard drive" and nothing ever happens.

So then I tried to create a boot camp partition and install windows xp on that. It just kept going in a circle - installing and installing on different partitions but never running and my computer just kept restarting. i finally had to remove my battery, and do a clean install.

The boot camp partition is still showing up and the same thing keeps happening with parallels. I've got the software running at work on Tiger and it's fine (after a $30 phone call to support that I don't want to repeat - the guy did not speak english and was impossible to understand)

Any ideas?

7. branthenne

branthenne Bit poster

cmaryfitz - I'd start a new thread about this; this thread is about the parallels Installer. I can sympathize with you about the support issue. A journalist actually contacted me about my experiences with Parallels because of complaints I made on a different site; I guess the bad support issue is pretty widespread. I'm sure she'd be interested in what the mandatory 30$ got you. You'll see at the beginning of this thread that I submitted an email support request. I still have yet to get the auto-response. Their support flat-out sucks, so I'd stick with forums to get stuff solved - which is probably their excuse for bad support ("we host a forum for you to figure it out for yourselves, so why should we provide the direct support we stated we would give you").

Regarding Crimson Orguss' explanation; this worked for me – and yes, I also did not have internet sharing turned on; the installer calls it up. I'll dumb it down for other people, who may be like me, and have a head carved out of wood.

1. Download the Parallels Installer
    2. Launch the Activity Monitor (AM)
    3. In AM, select "all processes", and sort the list by name (you'll see internet sharing is not in the list)
    4. Start the Parallels Installer
    5. When it starts to hang (during the actual installation, after all of the terms agreements, etc.), go BACK to the AM
    6. You'll see that "Internet Sharing" has been launched by the installer for some reason.
    7. Select "Internet Sharing" and force it to quit.
    8. The intaller should then stop hanging.

This seems pretty clear cut that its an issue with the installer. This makes the no-response email support, and the pay support for a bug pretty infuriating. As you can tell, I've made up my mind about Parallels, so take my strong bias for what it is.

8. shavital

shavital Member

I first installed Parallels under Tiger, a month before the release of Leopard, without any problem of any kind, and immediately after that did a custom install of Windows XP Pro, again without any problems, as far as Parallels was involved. It was, I believe, build 4428. I had only to familiarize myself with using Windows XP. I then asked (web form) Parallels support about compability with the approaching Leopard, and within a couple of hours, the support people recommended to upgrade to build 5160, and where from it could be dowloaded. Which I did. Then I upgraded from Tiger to Leopard, 10.5 (erase, clean install, restore). No problems, Parallels and Windows XP continued to perform satisfactorily. Updated Mac OSX to 10.5.1. I have never enabled Internet Sharing, I don't remember anything related to Internet Sharing during installation: I run LittleSnitch, which I believe would have reacted to any attempt by Parallels installer to contact its "home".
    Parallels released a beta, I don't remember the build number. I consulted their support (web form), and was advised to wait for the final release of build 5582, which I did. Upgraded to 5582, still running fine, and in the meantime I managed to install Ubuntu 7.04 and to upgrade it to Ubuntu 7.10. At that time, I began having warning messages every time I tried to launch Windows XP, or Ubuntu, for that matter, related to a lack of available disk space. I explained the matter in detail (web form), waited a few days, no response, then I got one of Parallels RT notifications, informing me that "since I had not reacted to their answer, they considered the ticket solved, blah blah. I responded in very strong words that I had never received any kind of answer to my query. Less that 6 hours later I got both a detailed step step procedure to overcome the problem, and a short time later a response from someone else apologizing for the delay (that would be investigated, blah blah). That's what one could call lack of coordination. But the instructions of the first person worked fine, I commented back, got a final instruction, and that was it.
    So maybe I was lucky, both in installing and upgrading Parallels, and in getting response from their support people. And I shall not pretend that everything was just dandy. There is something that I cannot understand with Parallels "support team": they seem to have very capable people, and they seem to have less capable people, to put it mildly. From what I have read in these forums, and not only in this thread, support's average is far, far below par. It shouldn't be. Parallel's products don't come cheap, 30 bucks for telephone support is highway robbery especially when you don't get anything for your 30 bucks. I hope that when I decided to go for Parallels, at the beginning, I didn't bet for the wrong horse.

9. jhodges

jhodges Bit poster

Installation Woes

My problems with installation seem to be a little different than what's been mentioned in this thread.

I was running Tiger and had Windows XP working under Parallels 2.0. Life was good.

I upgraded to Parallels 3 and things still worked fine. Then I upgraded the Mac to Leopard (10.5.1) and read on the site that Parallels "highly recommended" only running Build 5582 under Leopard, so I upgraded and it seemed to go fine. But when I launch Explorer or any other app they launch but then I get a message there's a problem and the app has to shut down.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the 5582 build twice. I've bitten the bullet and wiped out the XP VM and reinstalled XP and I'm running into exactly the same problem.

Any one have any ideas on what to try next?

Thanks.

10. shavital

shavital Member

Is there a specific text, reference number, etc., in the error message, when you try to launch Internet Explorer in your VM Windows XP? Can you launch and use other applications?