Just got a copy of Parallels, Can I move over my windows install from a broken PC?

JakeS1

Bit poster
I just got a new macbook pro (2.5ghz i7, 16gig DDR3, Nvidia 750m, 500ssd) and copy of parallels as a gift. I recently had an HP envy 14 that blew its graphics chip and no longer boots up. I have a ton of valuable software on that old windows PC. Am I able to import that windows install from my old PC? Do I need to get a usb hardrive enclosure for the disk from that computer? I also have backups from windows restore on an external hard drive, and an additional windows 7 seven computer to use for the transfer utility if necessary.

Is this process possible with my old computer broken? With that old computer, I installed windows 8 pro from previously running Windows 8 Consumer Preview (back for that $40 upgrade), though I can't find my purchase information for that. This means it isn't a OEM install? Also, just to confirm, you can't migrate over a OEM install? I don't believe I have an windows 8 iso image anywhere either.

Please let me know if you have any questions, or this process is even possible.

Thanks!
 
Good evening,
I am having the same issue with a system and the knowledge base articles referenced do not address the original posters concerns. The old computer system motherboard has failed and the system can no longer be booted up. I have removed the hard drive and put it in an external enclosure and the drive and data are still functional. How can I convert this drive to a PVM as this Windows system has been replaced by a MacBook Pro?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 
Back
Top