Keep Mac file icons when using Windows as default app?

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by ndr, Dec 3, 2018.

1. ndr

ndr Bit poster

Hi,

Is it possible to keep the file icons in MacOS when you set the default app to the Windows guest?
    As you can see below the icons change to this when I change the default app for Excel to the Windows guest instead of my local Mac installation:
    upload_2018-12-3_11-34-13.png

I would like to keep the default icon:
    upload_2018-12-3_11-35-41.png

Is this possible to configure in some way?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  2. AJ@Parallels

AJ@Parallels

Hello ndr, Are you trying to keep a Windows excel application as default for a file in Mac side? If that s the case then you will get that two red lines ( parallels symbol ) as the application is inside the virtual machine.

3. ndr

ndr Bit poster

Hi AJ,

Exactly, I have Windows Excel as default application on the Mac side.
    And the question I had was; is it possible to assign Windows Excel/Word etc as default but still keep the original Mac file icons without getting the two red lines.

I seem to be able to change the icons back to the original one by opening the "Get info" window on each file and replace the icon there but this takes time and it has to be done on every file.
    Would be easier if there was an option in Parallells with something like "Keep original Mac icons when setting Windows apps as default"

4. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @ndr , you would like to keep Windows application as default without the two red lines? Am I correct?