Key press repeats with PC USB keyboard

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by SteveZ, Feb 7, 2009.

1. SteveZ

SteveZ Bit poster

I have been using a PC USB keyboard with Windows XP in Parallels 4.0. Up until now, it has worked fine. Two days ago, I installed Windows XP Service Pack 3. The next time I went to use the PC keyboard, it would act like I was holding down the first key I pressed. I could only stop the continuously repeating keystroke by stopping the process completely. I uninstalled SP3, but it is still happening in SP2. I uninstalled and reinstalled Parallels Tools, and that did not help either. I need the PC keyboard for dialing into work. I use an IBM iSeries (formerly known as AS/400), and make much use of the high-number function keys, insert, etc. Using the Send Key option is quite cumbersome. Please help!

2. DaTa

DaTa Hunter

Hello, SteveZ,

It seems, that when you upgraded to SP3 Windows replaced drivers for keyboard. Please, right-click My Computer - > Manage -> Device manager -> Keyboard -> right click -> Properties -> Driver -> Update driver -> Do not search Internet -> I will select drivers to install and install Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard

3. SteveZ

SteveZ Bit poster

Thanks for the suggestion, but it didn't fix it.

I followed your instructions, but after a reboot, as soon as I went into Notepad and pressed the "s" key once, a stream of s's went across the window, and the only way to stop it was to Shut Down using the Parallels "button".

4. DaTa

DaTa Hunter

Hi, SteveZ

There are 2 more ideas:
    1) go again to Device manager, click View -> Show hidden devices and delete all Keyboards. Reboot the machine and Windows should install new keyboard after restart.
    2) install IBM iSeries keyboard drivers in Windows machine from some Internet sources like

http://www.bosanova.net/as400software.html

But be very attentive, because Parallels provides no warranty for 3rd-party software downloaded from the Internet.

5. SteveZ

SteveZ Bit poster

Still no luck :-(

Thanks for the suggestions. I did step 1 (delete keyboard and let it reinstall on restart). I had only the Mac keyboard plugged in for that restart. Once I confirmed that it worked (typing in Notepad), I plugged in the PC USB keyboard. It took me through pressing the z and / keys to identify the keyboard (which I never used to have to do before this whole thing started), and when I typed in Notepad, it repeated the letter I typed until I used the Shut Down button at the top of the Parallels window. In other words, no improvement. I did not do Step 2 (IBM keyboard drivers), since so far I was not dealing with dialing into work. Plus, the UI that I use for the AS/400 accepts standard PC keyboard input, so I don't really think that will be necessary (and it always worked before without special keyboard drivers).

I hope you can come up with something else to try.

Thanks!

Steve Zimmerman

6. SteveZ

SteveZ Bit poster

It's been over a month with no help. Help!

The problem has not been resolved. Please read the above posts and someone, please help! Thanks! :)