Keyboard/Trackpad don't work in WinXP Pro Boot Camp; Do in parallels

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by jsbraby, Oct 29, 2007.

1. jsbraby

jsbraby Bit poster

Okay, I'm hoping that someone has a fix for this that doesn't involve a Windows repair/reinstall. I'd like to get this fixed before my 10.5 upgrade arrives and I add another variable to the mix... (Yes, I've read the stickied thread "How to: Resolve trouble between Parallels and Windows under Boot Camp" in this forum)

Any advice is welcome. If I have to, I will do a repair install on Windows, but I'm hoping there is a less drastic fix. All advice is welcome.

System:

MacBook Pro, 15" 2.4 GHZ
    Mac OS X 10.4.10
    Parallels 3 build 5160
    Boot Camp 1.4
    No external mouse/keyboard/HDD
    32GB Boot Camp partition formatted FAT32
    WinXP Pro SP2 installed on Boot Camp partition
    Parallels set up with the default "My Boot Camp" profile

Symptoms:

Parallels boots the "My Boot Camp" image with no problems. Trackpad, keyboard, etc work as expected.

On booting to Boot Camp, Windows briefly displays a profile selection page, then boots. At the profiles page, keyboard works; can use the arrow keys to toggle between profiles, F8 responds. Once Windows loads its GUI in Boot Camp the keyboard and trackpad do not work/respond. It does not matter if I boot normally or to safe mode or safe mode with networking.

In all cases the MacBook Pro's keyboard in non-responsive. CTRL+ALT+DEL, and TAB on the keyboard provide no response. Trackpad does not update the mouse pointer.