Keystroke not making it to Windows application?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by kevcollins, Dec 10, 2022.

1. kevcollins

kevcollins Junior Member

I have a Windows application that should respond in a specific way to a mouse click on menu choice when a modifier key is depressed. Specifically the Windows application is looking for a Ctrl+Shift mouse click on a menu item. However, the application behaves as if I just clicked the menu option with no modifier keys at all pressed. I'm running this application on Windows 10 in a Parallels VM on my mac. I expected that I needed to use Shift+Option on my mac keyboard instead of Shift+Ctrl but that doesn't do it either. I'm curious if something in keyboard mapping from mac to parallels to windows to application needs to be done to enable this action. Any thoughts on how to debug this?

2. kevcollins

kevcollins Junior Member

I even tried creating a key mapping in the parallels windows settings. I mapped Shift+Ctrl and Option+Ctrl to Shift+Ctrl. No difference.

3. kevcollins

kevcollins Junior Member

I finally solved the problem. Parallels by default (or me, long ago) defined Shift+Ctrl click to be a secondary click. This is adjusted in Parallels Desktop preferences, on the shortcuts page under mouse clicks. I changed the definition and voilĂ  the application suddenly saw the keystrokes!