Lag in usb data or visual graphic overload

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by JuhaT, Jun 26, 2017.

1. JuhaT

JuhaT Bit poster

I downloaded Parallels Desktop trial a week ago. Before that I tested Virtualbox which had problems with the software I use (HPtuners). I use this software with early 2015 Macbook Air with 256 gb ssd drive. Parallels desktop has same kind of problems, they are not so bad though.

The problem: I have a HPtuners-software which I use in tuning car electronics. This software worked for me perfectly when I used bootcamp + Windows 7 Professional in my macbook air. I use that Windows 7 Professional now in my virtual desktop and the user experience is very good! The problem though is that when I log car's computer signals with this software in virtual desktop, the signals are not continuous. Sometimes I see that there's few seconds delay in graphics and when the values start to follow the real life, there's much data missing from those few seconds. That makes this work very hard and unpredictable.

Is there a logging software or app that could monitor the usb-traffic or something that would cause this problem? I would really love to use this product but this problem is a big issue for me.

2. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Hi @JuhaT, frankly, any devices which demand real-time data processing are not fully supported in a virtual environment, due to the fact that virtualization and "real-time" are conflicting objectives. But, we can try to tune the performance by:
    1. Minimizing the number of logging parameters in HPtuners;
    2. Speed up USB processing by using more CPU (thus battery) resources: set the following boot flags in VM configuration using a comma as separator (Hardware > Boot Order > Advanced settings):

devices.usb.active_detect_rounds=20000,
    devices.usb.idle_poll_timeout=1

3. HP Tuners MPVI uses FTDI's chip, so it should be possible to lower the latency in driver settings:
    latency.png
    Will be looking forward to the results of this tuning.

3. JackS2

JackS2 Bit poster

Hello, I am new here in this post.

4. JuhaT

JuhaT Bit poster

Thanks. I did those parts 1 & 2 but number 3 I can't because there's no com-port for HPtuners MPVI on my Windows device manager. There's channel "HPtuners MPVI channel A" and "HPtuners MPVI channel B" for this device on "Universal serial bus controllers". Under those settings there's no "advanced"-tab from where to look those Latency timers.

5. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

I see, okay. Please let me know if doing parts 1&2 did any good.

6. JuhaT

JuhaT Bit poster

Now I tested these. unfortunately taking many of the polled channels away and modifying the boot flags didn't do the trick. I looked the data with both settings (boot flags with and without those additional texts) and got irrational lags randomly. The longer the log time, the more I got errors.

I wrestled with another problem too: When I write the calibration to the car, I get "Timed out" error during writing. This was very worrying for me since the car I'm tuning is not my own. Fortunately after 5-10 times trying the write got through and the car works again. After this incident I removed the boot flag additional text and continued. The problem didn't disappear though... I had the same "timed out"-problem many times after that too.

I would really like to solve this since going back to bootcamp doesn't sound good after this Parallels user experience.