large difference between c-drive and vm size

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration' started by ChrisTom, Nov 14, 2017.

1. ChrisTom

ChrisTom Bit Poster

I run a number of different Windows 10 VMs with expanding disks, and the bloat (difference between the c-drive and v-hdd size) varies quite a lot. Here are two examples (No snapshots):
    Low bloat: c-drive 19.5GB, Total size in Config/General: 20.9GB, PVM: 22.4GB
    High bloat: c-drive 19.3GB, Total size in Config/General: 24.1GB, PVM: 25.87GB

As I run quite a lot of VM for different users and clone them for new installations, any bloat makes backups and limited SSD space is a real pain. I have tried to compress and optimise everything I can think of, in Windows 10, and in Parallels Desktop, with Reclaim and the extra 3GB of bloat is really annoying me in some of these.

Please can someone tell me what it is and how I can manage it down?
    Most of the VMs are run in PD11, but I tested a high bloat one in PD13, and also found I could not reduce it.
    Thanks

2. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

PVM size is the summ of various VM files. It contains HDD (c-drive as usual), snapshots (if any), suspend state (RAM, devices state).

If you do not have snapshots, VM is not in suspended state then PVM size should be similar (not equal) to c-drive.

3. ChrisTom

ChrisTom Bit Poster

Yes. This is what I would expect. But it is not what is happening. Here is one I have moved over to a PD13 environment.

Attached Files:

4. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

I see. It seems there is unused space inside virtual HDD what occupy disk space in Mac. Lets try to do the following:

1) Open Windows 10 VM and run it
    2) From File menu in PD choose Check Disk
    3) Then operation completes click on HDD icon in the VM window title bar and select Reclaim Disk Space...

Let me know the results.

5. ChrisTom

ChrisTom Bit Poster

Hi, I had already done all this, but did it again. And then W10 update 1709 landed and I had to start again, having done the disk clean-up.

But the result was no benefit other than 100mb.