Latest Parallels Update Kills VM

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by rauckr, Dec 6, 2010.

1. rauckr

rauckr Member

I just installed the latest update to Parallels Desktop 6 for the MAC and I can no longer launch a VM. I get the following message:

Unable to perform the operation in this session.

You should disable the confirmation mode in this session to be able to perform this operation.

What does this mean and how can I fix it?

2. veggiedude

veggiedude Hunter

my XP VM is dead

My VM is also dead. I can't boot into it, but I don't see any error message. Well, there is one on a blue screen but it flashes so fast I do not have time to read what it says, then it drops into the mode where you can chose SAFE MODE.

3. veggiedude

veggiedude Hunter

I thought reinstalling the older update would fix things. I was wrong. See attached screenshot...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  4. rauckr

rauckr Member

I fixed my problem

It sounds like you have a registry corruption problem in your guest OS. My problem was in the VM. I clicked on the stop command on the Virtual Machine menu and the error message cleared. I reinstalled the new version of Parallels and reinstalled Parallels Tools and everything appears to be working properly now.

5. rauckr

rauckr Member

Clarifications

I indicated in the previous post that I clicked the Stop command in the Virtual Machine menu and the error message went away. I neglected to mention that the Stop command had been checked indicating assertion. I also noticed that the Parallels Tools were no longer properly installed (message at bottom of the screen stating the need to press a key combination to release the mouse cursor). Also, a VM session that was shut down in Coherence mode no longer restarted in Coherence. All of these factors convinced me that the Parallels installation was damaged. After I reinstalled Parallels and the Tools, everything seems to be behaving properly.

6. rauckr

rauckr Member

Further Update

My problem has returned but now I know how to fix it. The VM fails to launch with the error message I previously posted. I click on the Stop Menu item under Virtual Machine Menu (password authorization is requested and I must enter it twice) and then I can click to launch the VM and all appears to be normal.

7. IsraelQ

IsraelQ Bit poster

Any solution for this problem?

Anyone find a correct solution for this problem?

8. ShannonA

ShannonA Member

Try reducing your VM RAM Size down to 2 GIG or under

9. rauckr

rauckr Member

RAM Allocation Adjustment

I have two reactions to the suggestion to reduce the RAM allocation to 2 G-Bytes or less.

1)

10. rauckr

rauckr Member

RAM Allocation Adjustment

I have two reactions to the suggestion that I reduce the RAM allocation to 2 GB or less.

1) How does the RAM allocation relate to the inability to launch a VM where the Stop command on the Virtual Machine menu appears stuck in the asserted position?

2) This solution, if it worked, would be unacceptable. I use this machine (17" MacBook Pro with 8 GB of RAM and a 500 G-Byte hard drive running OS X 10.6.5) as an Engineering Workstation rather than a tool for sending and receiving e-mail and surfing the Net.

11. ShannonA

ShannonA Member

I was trying to test out a theory because I am having an issue with the 2GB issue.

12. ShannonA

ShannonA Member

Also.. did you install the latest version of Parallels Tools? Can you use Time Machine to roll back?

13. rauckr

rauckr Member

Time Machine on Parallels Tools

I use Time Machine on my external data drive and Super Dupe in my boot drive. Mismatching the Parallels release and the Tools release would seem to open up other possible problems. I have a stuck Stop command assertion. I can release it by clicking on it but the menu item still shows it asserted and the problem returns when I shut down and restart the VM..

14. rauckr

rauckr Member

More Data

I have found that when the VM fails to start with the error message I reported previously, I can click on the Stop command, get the password request and dismiss it without entering a password. I can then start the VM normally with no errors.

15. rauckr

rauckr Member

Even More Data

I had indicated in an earlier post that selecting Stop under Virtual Machine brought up two successive requests for the system password and after entering it both times I could launch the VM. I have Parallels configured to request the system password at start-up. For some reason the password dialog is not being displayed and an error message is issued instead. Selecting Stop also triggers a request for system password and the original and new requests are then displayed. This is no longer a problem for me since I know what to do but it appears to be a bug.