launch parallels on startup with virtuedesktop

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by peterelst, Sep 14, 2006.

1. peterelst

peterelst Bit poster

Thread was moved from "General Discussions > User Solutions and Workarounds" to "Parallels Desktop for Mac > Windows Guest OS Discussion".
    Stacey M

I'm new to Mac having moved over from PC but started using a MacBook Pro with Parallels to my great satisfaction.

There something I've been trying to get sorted for a while now, hope its possible and someone can help me out:

I'd like to have Parallels launch my Win XP in full screen mode on startup of OSX on my second desktop I've got set up with virtuedesktops.

That would allow me after start up to simply use a hot key to switch between OSX and XP without first having to launch the app in a separate application etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Peter

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2007
  2. constant

constant Forum Maven

3. peterelst

peterelst Bit poster

Thanks, though don't really see how that other thread applies to my question -- can you launch Parallels on startup of OSX and automatically boot XP?

4. philnewts

philnewts Member

As far as I know there is no way to autoboot , you need to press the play button. If you set the VM to switch to full screen on boot and lock parallels to one of your desktops, as soon as you have pressed play on the VM you are set. The only way would be for Parallels to include this as an option or look at scripting it.

5. constant

constant Forum Maven

It can be done.

6. philnewts

philnewts Member

how so, as I say it could be scripted?

7. constant

constant Forum Maven

The answer is in another forum.

8. philnewts

philnewts Member

I stand corrected, if you set parallels pref to auto start configuration when loaded then assign the file to logon items you are away

9. philnewts

philnewts Member

Having put a shortcut to .pvs file in the dock and setting auto launch i now get this message "Error occurred while trying to interact with Parallels driver! Parallels Desktop is either not installed or/and configured or has integrity problems, which prevent it from operating properly. Please reinstall the Parallels Desktop." it will boot if i reload it but never first time any ideas? I am using build 1896.2

10. constant

constant Forum Maven

Instead of continuing to "beat your head against a wall", try searching for things like "autostart", "virtue" and the like.

11. philnewts

philnewts Member

The issue is now the error message which I have now discovered is not linked to auto start at all I am looking for a solution, I have posted this as a seperate issue, suffice it to say the original question has been resolved