Launch URL from XP changes default browser on Mac

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by hansderycke, Aug 8, 2007.

1. hansderycke

hansderycke Member

If I click a URL in XP, it launches the web page in Mac OS X Safari, as it is supposed to do. However, after that, any URL clicked, be it in XP or OS X, launches in Internet Explorer in XP. I have found that this is because the default browser in Safari is changed to Parallels Desktop.

2. pendolino

pendolino Member

thank you for noting the problem and that the default is being changed. this has been driving me crazy the last few days and i hope that the parallels developers are fixing this asap.

is it just me or are others noticing that every fix/build is coming up with brand new problems while attempting to fix others. i hope that enough debugging is done before releasing new builds as 'final'.

3. AngryAnt

AngryAnt Member

You should probably post more data before the problem can be fixed. I'm running 3.0 latest beta and since 3.0 was released I have not had any trouble launching all URLs from both systems in Safari.

4. pendolino

pendolino Member

i just checked again and it is true - as soon as a link is clicked from the VM (windows XP in my case) the default is switched to windows rather than my default mac browser (firefox for mac). i dont know what other information i can provide that would be useful beyond that my configuration is otherwise 'standard'.

5. jmayzurk

jmayzurk Bit poster

Me too

I'm also having this problem, and it's incredibly frustrating--so much so that I just bought VMware Fusion for this reason alone. Unfortunately Fusion has a few issues of its own...

My experience is exactly as described as above: Once a URL is opened from Windows into the Mac, the Mac's default browser is reset to the Windows browser. In other words:

1. Click a link in Thunderbird (Mac), and the page is opened in MacOS Firefox as expected.
    2. Click a link in Outlook (Windows VM), and the page is opened in MacOS Firefox (again as expected).
    3. Click the same link in Thunderbird as in step #1, and the page opens in IE in the Windows VM!
    4. Quit and relaunch Firefox in MacOS, and the dialog appears: "Firefox is not the default browser..."

6. pendolino

pendolino Member

well this problem is not enough to make me defect but i hope the developers at parallels are LISTENING! this is important guys. anyone home?

7. jasonw

jasonw Member

I have everything set to "Open in Mac OS X". and the listed steps reproduce the problem consistently every time. This problem applies to Web, FTP and Mail associations. It's quite annoying.

8. pendolino

pendolino Member

hello parallels. anyone there listening?

9. pendolino

pendolino Member

now this is just plain stupid. no parallels attention here to this mind-bogglingly small but pervasive problem!

10. jasonw

jasonw Member

This bug appears to be fixed in #5144

11. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

It sounds like you have application sharing turned on. Turn it off via the configuartion panel and see if that helps.

12. pendolino

pendolino Member

eru - if i switched off my shared browser then i could not open links from the parallels VM (running xp) in my mac browser.

i completely want to avoid using the windows browser. all i use parallels for is MS office and mostly outlook.

also - i keep checking the versions and it still says i have the latest (4560). where do i find this 5144? is it beta?

13. jasonw

jasonw Member

14. pendolino

pendolino Member

thanks for the link jasonw.

would this download upgrade my current installation or install a seperate 'beta' version since there seems to be a key request associated with the download?

i will have to figure out how to back up or clone my current VM file in case this installation goes awry.

thanks

15. jasonw

jasonw Member

It replaces your existing installation and when you start VMs in the new version your VMs are upgraded. If you have a full 3.0 key it will work on #5144.