League of Legends 13.7 support on Apple Silicon

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by BertrandP, Apr 10, 2023.

1. BertrandP

BertrandP Junior Member

Hello,

I need the Windows version of League of Legends to run for an Overwolf app development. I can't use the macOS version because Overwolf doesn't work on macOS.

Since 64 bits update, version 13.7, of League of Legends, the game doesn't start at all (without any log on game side). The installation and client works, and tried to launch the game, but the execution of the "League of Legends.exe" (in C:\Riot Games\League of Legends\Game folder) fail, and no log are created in Game folder as it normally happens.

The Linux community has had a similar issue, but issued some patches on Wine side to make it work (see: https://github.com/polkaulfield/lol...ine-lol-staging/wine-lol-staging-8.5-1.tar.xz)

If I can do anything to help on finding solution, don't hesitate to provide me instructions to execute to help debugging.

Have a nice day.

ItayB1 likes this.
  2. Trishna Oobeyram

Trishna Oobeyram Staff Member

Hello!

In order to proceed with further investigation, kindly provide us with the below information:
    1. Reproduce the issue.
    2. Take screenshots of the errors, if any.
    3. Send us a detailed explanation with the screenshots attached in reply.
    4. Collect a technical report (right-click Parallels icon in Dock > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and send the report's 9-digit ID in a reply.

Thank you!

3. BertrandP

BertrandP Junior Member

To reproduce, just follow these steps:

Steps to reproduce:
    1. Install a fresh Windows 11 for ARM on an Apple Silicon Mac, through the included installation process on Parallels Desktop (latest version)
    2. Once Windows is installed with Parallels Tools, download League of Legends from official website: https://www.leagueoflegends.com/
    3. Install League of Legends
    4. Try to start League of Legends
    Observed behavior:
    League of Legends doesn't launch at all, and no error nor log is produced.

Expected behavior:
    League of Legends launch and is playable

Find attached screenshot with LoL client reporting that the game has crashed. You'll also see Explorer window showing no logs folder (as it normally is produced)

report ID: 422640662

Attached Files:

4. Pramesh Boodadoo

Pramesh Boodadoo Staff Member

Hello,
    The Apple M1 chip has an ARM architecture (unlike the x86/x64 architecture typical of classic desktop processors).
    And in a virtual machine on a Mac with an M1 chip, it is currently possible to run only Window ARM -- the Windows version for processors with ARM architecture (for example, it is used on devices with mobile chips like Microsoft Surface Pro X).
    And indeed, despite the built-in compatibility layer that allows you to run x86/x64 applications on Windows ARM, some applications, or drivers (in your case it's League of Legends) do not work.
    Kindly refer to this website for more info: https://www.leagueoflegends.com/en-...pdated-min-and-recommended-specs-for-lol-tft/
    We suggest you contact League of Legends developers and ask whether they fully support ARM Windows 11.

Thank you.

5. BertrandP

BertrandP Junior Member

Thank you, I already know that. The idea to report it here as well is for your dev team to have a look if it can be an issue in the Parallels side. If it would have been clear that it's a Windows on ARM related issue, I wouldn't have reported it here, but as also Linux x64 using Wine users have had a very similar (in termes of behavior) issue since update 13.7 of LOL, which they have fixed on Wine side, I think it's worth investigating on Parallels side also.

6. BijanB1

BijanB1 Bit poster

You really think he is going to report it to the Devs?

7. ItayB1

ItayB1 Bit poster

Chiming in to say I'm on the same boat. League on Windows - specifically for Overwolf development - is the only reason why I bought a Parallels license.

8. JohannesB12

JohannesB12 Bit poster

I checked the debug logs of Riot and there is this error:
    Passthrough is not supported, GL is disabled

Probably this is the reason why it crashes

9. JohannesB12

JohannesB12 Bit poster

Crash log:

[0702/170952.598:ERROR:gpu_init.cc(440)] Passthrough is not supported, GL is disabled
    [0702/171022.773:WARNING:angle_platform_impl.cc(49)] Debug.cpp:180 (insertMessage): GL error: HIGH: Internal D3D11 error: HRESULT: 0x887A0005: Failed to get the data of an internal query
    [0702/171022.777:ERROR:shared_context_state.cc(826)] SharedContextState context lost via ARB/EXT_robustness. Reset status = GL_UNKNOWN_CONTEXT_RESET_KHR
    [0702/171022.781:ERROR:gpu_service_impl.cc(1209)] Exiting GPU process because some drivers can't recover from errors. GPU process will restart shortly.
    [0702/172404.351:ERROR:gpu_process_host.cc(1002)] GPU process exited unexpectedly: exit_code=34
    [0702/172404.353:WARNING:gpu_process_host.cc(1316)] The GPU process has crashed 1 time(s)
    [0702/172405.270:WARNING:gpu_process_host.cc(1030)] Reinitialized the GPU process after a crash. The reported initialization time was 499 ms
    [0702/172418.318:ERROR:gpu_process_host.cc(1002)] GPU process exited unexpectedly: exit_code=1073807364
    [0702/172418.318:WARNING:gpu_process_host.cc(1316)] The GPU process has crashed 2 time(s)