License problems when upgrading from 1970 to 3188

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by adragomir, Mar 28, 2007.

1. adragomir

adragomir Bit poster

Hello everyone.

I am a registered user for Parallels Desktop.

The license was bought about two months ago.

I decided to upgrade to the latest version.

I had version 1970.

Downloaded the latest version (Parallels Desktop 3188 Mac en.dmg), mounted the image, clicked on uninstall, uninstalled parallels. Click install, install and start parallels.

When I try to start the VM, i get a message about the key being expired.

I enter my bought license key, and it doesn't work. The message is "The activation key cannot be used with the current version of the Parallels Desktop!"

I have had this problem before, and there were no responses. Please, I am asking you to respond with some clear instructions or update, as I am a registered user (this was a company bought license), and this is simply intolerable.

Now the new version doesn't work, and I cannot find the old version to download.

If there is an upgrade path, which is it ? If there isn't, where can I find the old version ?

Expecting your response,
    Andrei Dragomir

2. STim

STim Bit poster

Please, send me your activation key in private messages. I will check it's correctness and suggest the further upgrade path.

3. vioccc

vioccc Member

I've got the same problem here. I bought the boxed version of Parallels on the Apple Store UK. Since i wanted to use Coherence, i didn't install the boxed version but downloaded the RC1 which didn't accept my key. I then upgraded to RC2, RC3 and finally the official build 3186 which also didn't accept my key. When build 3188 came out, i thought that it would solve the registration key problem but no, still refuses my key.

I now have only 1 day left on my trial key. Do I, and everybody with the same problem (because i assume that I'm not the only one suffering from this problem), have to PM you with our key? Isn't it possible to post here how to get our keys working? Where are the "localized" versions we've been promised for weeks? And why do I need a "localized" version for the UK? What's different in the UK version compared to the US one?

4. K2.

K2. Bit poster

Same problem here too. I bought the retail version 1970 from the apple store in the UK. Then a month ago I got an email from Parallels telling me to upgrade. I followed the link in the email, and it wouldnt accept my activation key. Now my trial is almost over and it still won't accept my activation key. Both the Parallels Support team and the Avanquest teams ignore my emails.

If I lose any earnings due to this negligence I will consider legal action.

5. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

please...you can still go back to 1970 with no hardship what so ever, so I doubt threats of court action hold any water.
    have you ever heard of M$ ever being successfully taken to court by an individual because a patch to windows caused them downtime ?

if you want another 15 day key, get another email address and get another trial key... they dont stop you from doing this.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  6. K2.

K2. Bit poster

Just like their "support" holds no water.

7. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

no one questions this.. i think a simple search of the first couple of pages of this forum will bring that to everyones attention...

we all know the support could do with improving... but you didnt buy the product with any implied SLAs or guarantees of support.

8. K2.

K2. Bit poster

I also didn't buy the product with any covert restrictions, nor did I appreciate getting misleading emails from Parallels telling me it was ok to upgrade, when clearly it wasn't.

9. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

that much is true, but not sufficient to bring legal action.

10. K2.

K2. Bit poster

Depends if their negligence causes loss of earnings and/or data. Compounded by their refusal to support the issue they caused.

11. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

and they will restort that theres nothing to stop you going back to the version you originally paid for, thus allowing you to continue working.

Again, as I mentioned earlier, if you could sue for loss of earnings becuase something didnt work after an update, microsoft would be out of business.. Take a careful look at the EULA. The disclaimers in there will, more than likely, be very carefully worded in their favour.

12. STim

STim Bit poster

Stop the flame please.

vioccc, K2.,
    Please PM me your keys as well.

13. bluedragon7

bluedragon7 Bit poster

1980 to 3188

Back on Topic (at leats close to):
    I have the german EDU version 1980 and obviously my key didnt work with beta versions.

Now with 3188 it still wont work and the trial key only works 14 days and i cant renew it (like beta keys)
    As i especially like coherence i was reluctant to downgrade to 1980 again, but even that didnt work, as i could not deinstall parallels tools without a working VM.

any other ideas as the afore mentioned "get another email to get another key"?

14. STim

STim Bit poster

Bluedragon7,

I'm waiting for your key in my PM :) I'll be able to suggest something after I have it.

15. wbauer

wbauer Bit poster

We have the same problem here, boxed Parallels bought via Applestore Germany and the keys do not work with the latest 3188 version. I will send in the keys via private message as suggested.

Werner

16. parkiecik

parkiecik Bit poster

Hi
    Have you tried to install 1970 version first and register it. then from Parallels menu chose HELP -> Check for Updates. Download latest version that way and install it. It seemed to work form me.

17. Frank Friedlos

Frank Friedlos Junior Member

Like parkiecik says, it works fine if you go by that specific route. I only knew this because I'd been round this merry go round before. I'm glad to hear Parallels are helping people out with this problem these days. Does this mean global registration key system is in sight?

18. jgrotepass

jgrotepass Bit poster

This doesn't work (at least for me). Also the "Check for Update" does not use a system wide Proxy-Server which creates another problem....

Perhaps this is fixed in 3188 but I cannot test this because my keys are invalid :-(

JGrotepass