Limit CPU Execution

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by JustinP1, Mar 25, 2015.

1. JustinP1

JustinP1 Bit poster

I have a question, after searching for forums and google I have not found a good answer my question: Can I limit the CPU (max % usage) to a VM, and prevent the VM from putting the CPU into turbo mode. In essence I want the OS to think its a 2ghz processor instead of the 2.8 + 3.2turbo?
    I have a macbook pro 2014, 2.8i5 16gb Ram
    I am running a Parallels Desktop 10.1.4, win 8.1 pro for development (visual studio, mssql)

I keep running into the issue where the Host CPU is constantly being hammered by the VM, I found that it is the win8.1 on idle maintenance tasks that are taxing the CPU, but I also found (by running the intel power gadget) that while the VM is running it keeps the cpu into the turbo range for long periods of time (3.2ghz) even when the VM is not using a lot of CPU (>20%). I found that limiting the maximum cpu in the power settings has no affect (its a vm...) my only true recourse was to limit it to one CPU but it still can and will kick it over into turbo mode if the cpu is even slightly taxed on the vm side. Is there a way to limit the maximum the VM can use on a CPU something similar to the Execution Cap on virtual box?

2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

The answer is no, you can't.
    You can only control the amount of cores dedicated to the VM. And you can tune Options > Optimization > Power for longer battery life.