Locked out of adminstrator account

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Alan1, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Alan1

Alan1 Bit poster

I am trying to log into my administrator account I keep getting "referenced account is currently locked and may not be logged on to." I have tried resetting the password and even though it says "authentication tokens updated successfully." After i try to log in again, I get the same thing. I've tried booting from a startup cd and I dont see the usernames listed. please help !

2. Abdul@Parallels

Abdul@Parallels Parallels Support

3. Alan1

Alan1 Bit poster

I am able to reset the password but the account lockout policy has locked me out. So even after changing the password, I cannot log in with the new password.

4. Alan1

Alan1 Bit poster

I fixed it. If anyone has the same problem as my heres my solution:
    1. using the prlctl solution for resetting the password; instead create a new account.
    prlctl exec UIDD_HERE net user /add NEW_ACCOUNT_NAME_HERE PASSWORD_HERE
    2. add that account to the localgroup administrator
    prlctl exec UIDD_HERE net localgroup administrators NEW_ACCOUNT_NAME_HERE /add
    3. sign in to newly created admin account
    4. Control panel -> User Accounts -> Manage User Accounts -> Advanced (tab) -> Advanced -> Users -> right-click user thats locked out -> Properties -> uncheck "Account is locked out". -> Apply.

BOOM done. Log out of this account and log into the account you were previously locked out of.

5. Abdul@Parallels

Abdul@Parallels Parallels Support

Thank you Alan1, for sharing it with us.

6. PauloG2

PauloG2 Bit poster

There is a command to just unlock the account:
    1. Run the command below to get the UUID of the instance whose user is locked
    prlctl list -all
    2. Run the command below to unlock que user
    prlctl exec UUID_HERE net user LOCKED_ACCOUNT_HERE /active:yes
    Example: prlctl exec {718dfd0f-26ca-497d-a146-82b42bd648f0} net user mouser /active:yes