Logi MX Key S Keys <> \| swapped

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Ciro, Sep 17, 2023.

1. Ciro

Ciro Bit poster

The keyboard key <> and |\ is correct under macos but on windows they are swapped. I try to swap ketborad layout from (apple) ITA - Parallels to ITA (in my case) but it's not resolve the problem. I have mapped the keys in control center of parallels: key \ to < etc... but it not have success.

2. LucaP8

LucaP8 Bit poster

Hello, had the same issues with MX Keys (non S), same ITA layout and same keys swapped, and finally found a fix.

If you press Fn+U for 3 seconds the keys swap back to their correct position (but mess up MacOS layout). To switch back, press Fn+U again. So you actually can use the keyboard right on both systems, but not at the same time :mad:. If you plan to use Windows for Visual Studio (as I suppose, because no normal person would use < > \ | keys ;)) that should not be an issue.

Also found these 2 commands but no luck with Parallels issue:
    - Fn+P for 3 seconds, Windows layout
    - Fn+O for 3 seconds, MacOS layout

3. Ciro

Ciro Bit poster

Hello LucaP8, Thank you very much.
    Yes, i use this keys with VS and in my personal notes on coding.
    This is a best solution but how you have this information?
    There may be other useful key combinations.

4. LucaP8

LucaP8 Bit poster

Found here and there over the internet... There is no official documentation but the command works so far, at least there's a solution. :rolleyes:

5. LucaP8

LucaP8 Bit poster

HOLD ON! I think I've come to the sweet spot.

Open Logi Options+ and deactivate "Always keep the keyboard layout Mac" (as it would interfere with next commands), then you can use:
    - Fn+P, Windows Layout, \ and < are at their place in Parallels, plus Start and Alt act as Start and Alt in Parallels
    - Fn+O, Mac Layout, \ and < are at their place in MacOs, plus Start and Alt act as Opt and Command in MacOs
    - Fn+U (after setting Mac Layout), toggle "hybrid layout" where \ and < are at their right place/swapped depending if you're using MacOs/Parallels, plus Start and Alt act as Opt and Command in MacOs, while acting as Alt and Start (yeah, swapped, instead of Alt and Start) in Parallels

So far Fn+P it's the best option for me as the right Opt in MacOs is too far on the right, and I always use it on VS for @#[]{}. To fix this issue on MacOs layout too, add these lines into ~/Library/KeyBindings/DefaultKeyBinding.dict of your home directory (if the file does not exists, create it):
    "@$é" = ("insertText:", "{");
    "@$*" = ("insertText:", "}");
    "@è" = ("insertText:", "[");
    "@+" = ("insertText:", "]");
    "@ò" = ("insertText:", "@");
    "@à" = ("insertText:", "#");

To fix the issues in Visual Studio Code for Mac too, too, go to Code > Settings > Key Bindings > Open keyboard shortcuts (JSON) in the upper right corner (is a sheet icon with an arrow) and replace the file content with this one (if empty, otherwise add just the array elements you need):
    [
    //aperta graffa
    {
    "key": "shift+cmd+[BracketLeft]",
    "command": "type",
    "args": {
    "text": "{"
    },
    "when": "editorTextFocus && !editorReadonly"
    },
    //chiusa graffa
    {
    "key": "shift+cmd+[BracketRight]",
    "text": "}"
    },
    },
    //aperta quadra
    {
    "key": "cmd+[BracketLeft]",
    "text": "["
    },
    },
    //chiusa quadra
    {
    "key": "cmd+[BracketRight]",
    "text": "]"
    },
    },
    //cancelletto
    {
    "key": "cmd+

Ciro likes this.
  6. Ciro

Ciro Bit poster

You are magnificent!
    Thank you.

7. UmerN

UmerN Bit poster

Thanks for posting this.
    I installed Parallels on my work MacBook in order to run visual studio.
    Didn't get that far before finding that there is no way to type a # sign¡
    Worst issue was my password had a # in it, so I could not even enter my password¡
    Even the Windows on screen keyboard had no # sign (that I could see) - even after trying several keyboard language settings etc..
    Had to change the password, just so I could login¡
    On the plus side, was quite impressed with Coherent mode - felt a bit surreal having Windows File Explorer and VS running side by side with Mac apps
    Will try out your suggestions