Logitech Brio 4K Ultra HD Webcam - Not detected when 'Camera Settings' app opened

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by SteveS4, Mar 1, 2019.

1. SteveS4

SteveS4 Junior Member

Computer Specs:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Computer: iMac 27-inch - Late 2012
    Processor: 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory: 32 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB
    Operating System: macOS Mojave - version 10.14.3
    Display Resolution: 2560 x 1440
    Software: Parallels Desktop For Mac version - 14.1.2-45479
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Although I am able to activate and use my Logitech Brio 4K Ultra HD Webcam and the software application associated with it within my Mac operating system, I am not able to use it at all within Parallels Desktop. It's simply not detected when connected to one of my USB ports and the software (upon launching) indicates that no camera is connected. I did ensure that the Logitech Brio was checked in the USB devices menu so that is one factor that can be noted as probably not a cause of the problem that I'm experiencing. Has anyone on this forum had any experiences with this Logitech product?

2. kat

kat Product Expert

Hi SteveS4.
    Have you checked in Parallels preferences under usb where and how the camera is assigned.
    Screen Shot 2019-03-02 at 12.37.08 PM.png
    If the device appears in the Connect it to my Mac, that may be the issue. You can change where it is assigned by clicking Ask me what to do. Then when you connect it with Parallels desktop open to your computer it will ask you what to do. You will need to restart Parallels before this will work.

I hope this helps.

3. SteveS4

SteveS4 Junior Member

Thank you for your response, Kat. Greatly appreciated.
    In the Parallels Desktop Preferences, I have the 'Connect it to the active virtual machine' option selected and have never had any other devices not function properly.
    I forgot to mention that when I check the Logitech Brio device in the USB devices menu, this message consistently appears:
    2019-03-02_19-19-37.jpeg
    That message is consistently followed by this message from the Logitech Brio camera settings app shortly after starting it.
    2019-03-02_19-21-13.jpeg
    This behavior is consistent in both Windows 7 Professional and Windows 10 Professional.
    I tried your suggestion and got the same result - 'no camera detected'.
    Additional information: The Logitech Brio software app and firmware are the latest available versions.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  4. kat

kat Product Expert

Hi
    It sounds like your device didn't install properly. Please First reinstall Parallels tools. Then after you restart you vm, try to delete if from the Device manager and then Scan for Hardware Changes.

5. SteveS4

SteveS4 Junior Member

Thanks again, kat.
    I followed your instructions.
    Still 'no camera detected'.

6. kat

kat Product Expert

I have to ask under Configuration>hardware>usb> is share mac camera with windows checked?

7. kat

kat Product Expert

My internet may go out due to heavy snow so I wanted to give you more information before that happens:
    If you have updated parallels tools and you have share mac camera with windows checked,(and you can see the camera in the usb listing and you also restarted your vm) then you may wish to follow this knowledge base article on how to create a technical report: https://kb.parallels.com/en/9058 if you wish to create a support ticket see the note.
    Note: Sending a technical data report to Parallels is not considered a request to Parallels Support and does not create a ticket for a Parallels Support team automatically. If you need to open a support request, please visit this page.

8. SteveS4

SteveS4 Junior Member

Here's the information (in the form of screen captures) that you requested:
    2019-03-04_10-22-18.jpeg 2019-03-04_10-18-59.jpeg 2019-03-04_10-19-38.jpeg 2019-03-04_10-26-59.jpeg 2019-03-04_10-24-47.jpeg 2019-03-04_10-35-43.jpeg

9. SteveS4

SteveS4 Junior Member

Judging from past experiences involving other software applications, I'm inclined to conclude that the problem is most likely stemming from the Logitech Brio software application itself and its operation in and its interaction with the virtual machine environment.
    I continue to have a similar problem with the software application Cyberlink PowerDVD which, although it can be successfully installed within a Parallels Desktop VM with no problems whatsoever, has never been able to run in the Parallels Desktop VM. However, in that case, when the software application is launched, a message clearly appears stating that the application will not run in a VM.
    Another problem that I've been made aware of recently (with 3D / graphics-based applications) is OpenGL. Unfortunately, if Apple does not upgrade its OpenGL to the latest version (which it has not) that other applications use, then those applications requiring the latest OpenGL will not be able to run in a VM with an earlier OpenGL version. This is another situation where an issue cannot be resolved directly through your Parallels Desktop Support system because of an issue with the updating of a portion of the operating system software, in this case, the macOS.
    In conclusion, Logitech is most likely not aware of and/or has not successfully tested its Brio software functionality within a virtual machine. If that turns out to be the case, I will have to put this piece of software on the 'not able to run within a VM environment' list along with Cyberlink PowerDVD.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  10. kat

kat Product Expert

Hi Thanks for the screen shots I noticed that you are showing that Parallels Toolbox is up to date. I was referring to Parallels tools which is something else other than the toolbox. It is part of the Parallels environment that allows programs to run properly. Please follow these instruction: https://kb.parallels.com/en/111730

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  11. SteveS4

SteveS4 Junior Member

Okay. I reinstalled Parallels Tools.
    Still getting:
    [​IMG]

Thank you for your assistance with this, kat. Perhaps over time, this issue may be resolved. Whether it comes directly from the OEM or another Logitech Brio end-user, I'll keep an eye out for any further developments as things progress.

12. JohnathanF

JohnathanF Bit poster

Thanks for the info, you helped solve the problem.