Long-term viability of Parallels?

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by jantypas, Mar 6, 2007.

1. jantypas

jantypas Bit poster

It's a bit of a daunting subject line, but based on my experiences with Parallels, I think it applies.

Don't get me wrong. I have two copies of Parallels -- one Mac and one PC/Linux. Thhe Mac version is fantastic, the PC version, well, WAS fantastic, but it's showing its lack of support... I've also got VMWare licenses.

I think we have reason to say Parallels should be concerned about its long-term future. Why?

1. Ever try to get suppot for any version? I'm not talking about the PC/Linux version here.
    I've posted multiple questions, incuding simple pre-sales "I will buy more if it will do this" questionss. In six months, I've YET to get ANY FORM of a response. Note, I have learned, that by downloading a trial of anything, I will get a cold-call from Parallels asking me about buying more site copies. The person on the phone knows absolutely nothing about the product at a technical level, but it proves somewhere is at least, there.

2. Is the PC/Linux version alive?
    Sure, the Mac version sells well now... to the point where Parallels doesn't need to care about the PC/Linux version -- let VMWare/Microsoft have that, but will it always?
    VMWare was scared into development of the Fusion product. Clearly, it was a "!$#!@# THere's a market in that mac stuff -- we should do something" moment. And it shows.
    But give them time. Much like Microsoft, eventually, they will have something on par with Paralllels. And, based on support and updates, unless Parallels, gets its act together, eventually, the lure of having a product that can run on any platform, and scale, will bury Parallels. Sure, you will have a server product, but I'm getting tired of waiting for a PC desktop update....

3. Dont' count out Apple itself.
    Apple, right now, believes in Bootcamp. However, as kernel virutalization becomes common, as in Linux KVM, it's much easier for Apple just to run virutalization as part of the OS. What is Parallels beyound window dressing? Today, they can't touch it, but in time, Parallels will need something beyound what they have to survive. That something is support and upgrades.

I've seen this before -- hot young ocmpany is so successful they can no longe serve their customers. We all know what happens next.

2. David5000

David5000 Pro

Never underestimate the marketing cluelessness of engineers with a good product.

What a company like Parallels needs is not just Steve Wozniak (though he was not completely marketing-clueless) but Steve Jobs.

David

3. JBHorner

JBHorner Bit poster

I have an issue with them that has been open three months. I still have no solution from them. I think they have shot themselves in the foot, frankly. It would be one thing if the product worked well on the PC. But it doesn't...and worse, they do nothing to support it.

I am using the VMWare version for the Mac. It is far superior in stability and core functionality. USB devices that I cannot get to work on the Parallels version work great on the VMWare version (Fusion). At the end of the day, core functionality and stability matter most to me. Yeah, the coherence is a nice "wow" feature, but it is not why I bought the product.

By the way, the fact they called after a download doesn't necessarily mean they are there. This type of function is easily outsourced to other companies that do cold-calling as their business.

Joel