Looking for incremental backup solution, again...

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by MatthiasE5, Nov 27, 2022.

1. MatthiasE5

MatthiasE5 Hunter

Hi, again I'd like to ask if anyone is using some kind of backup program that backups to external (usb or sd card).
    I have been using Macrium Reflect, but now I ran into ARM compatibility issues.
    I'm looking for sth. that
    - works with shadow copy service
    - is capable of restoring individual files from a backup file.
    - is capable of creating Diff, Inc, and Full backups
    - ideally is able to create a mountable file.
    - ideally officially supports ARM64
    - stores Inc / Diff files, i.e. does not copy each individual file to the backup medium, but rather INTO a container file
    - It need not support bootable backup. (though I've been wondering if the image files would actually boot on an ARM64 laptop such as surface, with Macrium Redeploy).

It remains to be seen when software devs will finally support ARM64 across the board. It's sad how they are contributing in preventing the spread of competitive alternatives buy simply not creating ARM versions, which is not that difficult often.

2. RonaldK3

RonaldK3 Bit poster

Have you found an image/backup program? I too am looking for something as good as Macrium that is compatible with M1/ARM.

3. MatthiasE5

MatthiasE5 Hunter

Unfortunately no, I haven't.
    I would recommend "AllSync", e.g. the Business version (not to be confused with a different app "AllWAYsync"). It's paid. Support is good.
    There's also Rathlev Backup (Free).
    Neither of these does Incremental/Diff, but they do excellent versioning. You need to realize though that two VSS backup programs that are automized will interfere if the backup processes overlap (errors). You need to make sure only one is running at a time. Also applyies to combination of Macrium and a Versioning based program.
    Be aware there IS a macrium version that still works. I could tell you which. They blocked ARM installation after that version. It's perhaps 8 months ago or so (???). In any case I don't recommend using a no longer updated Macrium version. You can go to macrium forums and tell them that you would like an ARM version. Also perhaps Surface ARM machine users (and Lenovo ARM laptop users) -> forums might be interested in the topic, but I found little on this subject in general, sadly. I hope ARM wrill gain traction.
    Moreover you may want to copy the whole PVM file to a Samsung T5 2GB. Delete Snapshots before to save space.
    Make sure you have excluded Parallels from Time Machine.
    Put the PVM onto a separate volume of your internal Mac SSD.
    Use CCC and spend some time reading up on how APFS, TimeMachine, Snapshots, and CCC Snapshots work.
    I have disabled Time Machine snapshots and only use CCC snapshots.
    It is important to realize there are ccc APFS snapshots, time machine APFS snapthos, and PVM snapshots (make by parallels of the VM). Spend some time reading up on this in the CCC help file, making sure you read help of the current ccc version.
    I use a bogus profile in CCC that copys an empty folder, and subsequently will create a CCC (!) Snapshot of the internal Parallels VOLUME (!). I do that before reducing Parallels Snapshots, and after every shutdown or hibernation of windows. Everybody says I'm an idiot for not accepting that the hibernated stated of Windows is not in a state to make a backup, but reality tells me it always works. Think of this what you will. If in doubt, you can still shut down.
    CCC will not help you much to backup pvm to external. It can only simply copy it.
    Parallels supports Time Machine optimization, see in the snapshot configruation settings. TimeMachine is very advanced. I don't know how well it works with backing up a running windows though --- anyone want to chime in? Also Time Machine has predefined intervals and also it deletes stuff after some time. I don't remember exactly. It can be changed with some command, but I remember all things combined I decided I want to disable TM backups and only use CCC. CCC has a great interface for snapshots. BUt like I said, that does not help much with Windows VM backup.
    I NTFS-formatted a SanDisk Ultra Dual Drive Luxe USB-Stick, 1 TB, it works great on the MBA for backup (permanently inserted -- but does draw some energy (is always warm, bad Apple programming).
    I also user paragon NTFS driver. Works well.
    (I you have issues ejecting drives, ask me.)
    Somebody referenced a built-in windows backup tool.
    It should be clear that a Macrium cannot be restored to PVM. It will just be more or less equivalent a files and folder backup, eventhough it can technically comprise all data of C:. Don't know if it could be restored to dissimilar hardware. I think surface books have some limitations there(?? not sure!!), but perhaps not lenovo etc.
    I have tested a lot of software. One can always try to install sth even if it odes not explicitly mention ARM support. BUT DO A BACKUP (COPY THE VM TO EXTERNAL OR AT LEAST TAKE A SNAPSHOT (NOT JUST A PVM SNAPSHOT, BUT A CCC OR TM SNAPSHOT) BEFORE INSTALLING ANY BACKUP SOFTWARE ON WINDOWS.)
    Langmeier (pro), Iperius, SyncBackPro --> yet to me looked into, perhaps of some use.
    Since Macrium did work on ARM, it means it would be no problem to get it to work again if it's just doing simple File and Folder Backup. My guess is they prevent ARM installation because some of the advanced imaging technology causes some ARM issues. They could proably easily make an ARM version that is stripped of the advanced functionality. It is just not economical for them. It's therefore important that everybody asks Macrium to give us an ARM support.

RonaldK3 likes this.
  4. MatthiasE5

MatthiasE5 Hunter

To the casual reader: the above post does not exclusively refer to the issue of making diff immages of Windows withing the PVM!! It covers all kinds of backup topics related to running windows on mac M1, and more.

And by all means, the topic of backups needs to be taken seriously. If you have a currupted PVM file, it's over.... Or if the SSD breaks down. It's not trivial.
    A CCC backup of the full APFS system WITHOUT the parallels volume is incredibly fast. But doing regular frequent backups of the PVM (external ones) is not so trivial, espeically if you want full control and some kind of ability to restore e.g. the state 21 days ago, but also 8:30 hours ago. I was able to do that (in terms of data, not full OS restore) thank to macrium and the Sandisk stick, but no longer since they locked out ARM users :-(

RonaldK3 likes this.
  5. RonaldK3

RonaldK3 Bit poster

I appreciate your detailed reply -- you answered most of the questions I had. I have used Macrium for years and I was about to purchase the paid version until I learned recently that it would not work for my setup. I am going to purchase CCC -- thank you for that recommendation. I have a lot of reading to do about properly backing up / imaging using an M1 ARM and Win 11 Pro as a VM and you provided an excellent baseline.

6. MatthiasE5

MatthiasE5 Hunter

vTPM: It might be necessary that you make sure you have iCloud enabled globally and for keychain, and/or that you copy the keychain to external drive. You might need that in case of recovery (not sure).
    Also, if you ever restore or simply go back to a previous snapshot, be aware that this will mess with synchronization (e.g.: with automatic backups, but also e.g. bookmark sync etc.)
    It makes sense therefore to isolate the VM before going back in time, remove external backup drives; to be sure, disabling WiFi might be a good idea if you won't need it and if there would be many syncing apps etc. that would have to be lookedd after, otherwise.
    I have a list of stuff to keep from synchin/interacting before I go back in time.
    Also, I found the setting that Parallels keeps 5 snapshots useful. (Unless you use time machine with parallels/parallels snapshots). 5 is a a good compromise, you will be able to go back in time to a reasonable extent and ont retain too much information either.
    Note of course that paralles snapshot deletion interacts with CCC snapshot size, of course.
    It's worth it in particular to understand why snapshots grow, and what happens when one deletes one snapshot in terms of the data the the other snapshots require, depending on which snapshot is deleted (applies to both CCC ans Parallels). In CCC it can be niceley observed in the Volumes tab.
    If anyone has tried to install Langmeier/Iperius/Syncbackpro, please do report. (like I said backup your pvm, and get a T5 or other SSD -- a normal HDD won't work well). T7 might have issues. T5 is good.

RonaldK3 likes this.