Loosing custom Mac folders shared with Windows after login in

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by TheodK, Feb 9, 2023.

1. TheodK

TheodK Member

Hello to all of you working with Parallels 18 on macOS Monterey or Ventura,
    Does anyone recognize this?
    When I log-out of Windows 11 and then log-in again my shared custom Mac folders have gone. In other words: the drives are not mapped anymore. However when I repeat this process I get these mappings back again. What is happening?
    Has any one found a solution for this annoyance?
    Thanks.
    Theo
    P.s.: this happens on both my MacBook Pro's: 2015 (15" Intel) as well as 2023 (16" M2) with a fresh installation of everything.

2. Adeboye Adeotan

Adeboye Adeotan Staff Member

1. Hello TheodK,

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Please perform the steps outlined below:
      1. Make sure that the virtual machine is shut down. If it is in a suspended state, please run it and then shut it down (Actions > Shut Down).
      2. Open the virtual machine's Configuration: click the Parallels icon > Control Center > right-click on the virtual machine > Configure.
      3. Switch to the Options tab then select Sharing from the list.
      4. Ensure the "Share custom Mac folders with Windows checkbox" is selected.
      5. Click the "Manage Folders..." button.
      6. In the newly appeared window press + button.
      7. Add your preferred folders to the list.
      8. Click the OK button and close the configuration window.
      9. Restart the virtual machine.
      10. Check if the issue is resolved.
      11. If the issue persists, please collect a technical report (click the Parallels icon > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and send the report's 9-digit ID in a reply to this post.

3. TheodK

TheodK Member

Dear Adeboye,
    The report's ID is 418040022.
    Hope you'll find something.
    Regards,
    Theo

4. Adeboye Adeotan

Adeboye Adeotan Staff Member

1. Hello Theodk,

Thank you for the provided data.

Please perform the following steps as outlined below:
      1. Launch Parallels Desktop.
      2. Start your Windows virtual machine.
      3. Click the Parallels icon > Actions > Install Parallels Tools/Reinstall Parallels Tools.
      4. Click Continue on the pop-up message to mount an installation image to Windows.
      5. Click on your Windows DVD drive pop-up and then select Install Parallels Tools.
      6. Click Yes in the User Account Control dialog box
      7. Wait for the Parallels Tools installation to complete.
      8. Restart your virtual machine.
      9. Open the virtual machine's Configuration: click the Parallels icon > Control Center > right-click on the virtual machine > Configure.
      10. Switch to the Options tab then select Sharing from the list.
      11. Ensure the "Share custom Mac folders with Windows checkbox" is selected.
      12. Click the "Manage Folders..." button.
      13. In the newly appeared window press + button.
      14. Add your preferred folders to the list.
      15. Click the OK button and close the configuration window.
      16. Restart the virtual machine.
      17. Check if the issue is resolved.
      18. If the issue persists, please collect an additional technical report while your windows virtual machine is running (click the Parallels icon > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and send the report's 9-digit ID in a reply to this post.

5. TheodK

TheodK Member

Hello Adeboye,

I tested severals things before I discovered the origin of the problem.

What I found: the problem only happens when I run a PowerShell script to change the Windows and Office environment language and automatically logoff to activate the changes. I noticed that PowerShell is sluggish and probably running in emulation mode on Windows ARM. This missing drive mapping problem can not be replicated most of the time because it's random. Sometimes it happens when the sluggish PowerShell "trips over its own feet", but most of the time it will not. The only way to avoid the problem is to restart Windows (in the script) instead of logging off. Luckily my M2 MacBook Pro is so fast, that this will make hardly any difference. So I think we have to forget the case for the moment. You may close the "ticket".

Thanks any way for the trouble!

Theo