Lost internal DNS resolution sometime in my guest vm (windows)

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by DenisC4, Mar 28, 2018.

1. DenisC4

DenisC4 Bit poster

Hi,

In my company, we currently experiencing some dns issues for internal resolution in our guest vm (windows) only in shared network.
    If we configure our guest vm in bridge network, we do not have this dns issue.

Moreover in shared network, this issue is not permanent, sometime it works fine, and few time it does not.

We are using :
    - the latest parallels version : 13.3.0 (43321)
    - guest vm : Windows 10 pro

When I have this issue, I cannot do any internal dns resolution, the ping is still working fine with direct ip but not with dns alias.
    I tried nslookup, and the default dns server 10.211.55.1 with shared network is not able to resolve those internal dns alias.
    On my mac side, I have no issue at all, in the same moment, I am able to ping and resolve internal dns alias.

So on parallels, here are what I have done :
    • disable ipv6 on my shared network card
    • went in mac system preferences -> shared network card -> advanced -> DNS and configure directly our internal dns servers there and internal search domain

Is it a good workaround ?
    Does someone experience the same dns resolution issue in a parallels guest vm configured on shared network ?

Thanks a lot for your help,

Denis.

2. Hello DenisC4. Please try assigning DNS manually in the Windows virtual machine and check if it helps.

3. DenisC4

DenisC4 Bit poster

Hi Sathiya,

Thanks for your reply.
    If I assigned internal DNS manually in my guest vm, it's working.

But we do not want to do that, because our users work in different network :
    • from our office (use our internal dns)
    • from home
    • from our customers office

So they will have different DNS servers, we would like to use shared network, so the guest vm does not have to know which dns servers are assigned on the mac, and simply use them.

I am not sure, if the workaround I did is fine or not.

Thank you,

Denis.

4. DenisC4

DenisC4 Bit poster

Hi,

To be able to have a DNS working properly on my Windows VM, I have to set manually our internal DNS.
    It's working fine until we have to work from home or another location.

Those DNS servers won't be reachable, so no DNS name will be resolved from the VM.

What is the best way ?

Thank you,

5. DenisC4

DenisC4 Bit poster

Hi,

We still have this issue with Parallels with the shared network.
    What is the best way ?

We cannot manually setup internal DNS on the VM. because it won't work outside of our company, it should be automatic.

Thank you,

6. AJ@Parallels

AJ@Parallels

Hello DenisC4, Let us ensure that Parallels Tools are properly installed. Please follow this link to install Parallels Tools. If you see reinstall or update Parallels Tools then kindly reinstall it. Please go to the top menu bar and click on Actions--> Configure--> Hardware--> Network 1--> change the source to Bridge network ( Default adapter) and check if it helps.

7. AJ@Parallels

AJ@Parallels

Hello ErikaN, You are welcome, Please feel free to reach us any time for any queries regarding Parallels.

8. DenisC4

DenisC4 Bit poster

Hi AJ,

Thanks for your reply.
    Yep as I have already written before, the bridge is working perfecly, but we are using in my company few remote VPN clients installed on the mac side (host).
    So to be able to reach those remote vpns from our Windows VM, we have to keep "Shared network" on the VM configured.

Is there a way to keep "Shared network" and have internal DNS working ? We don't want to set manual DNS on the Windows VM.

Thank you,

9. BrandenB

BrandenB Bit poster

I'm seeing a similar issue, except instead of internal hosts, it's not resolving any hostnames.

I'm running parallels pro on MacOS with several VMs which suffer from this issue (Windows / Ubuntu VMs mostly). Occasionally DNS will not resolve for any site. Restarting the VM fixes the issue, but it's annoying. I feel like since it's happening with multiple VMs with different OSs, it is likely an issue with parallels itself.

Thank you