Lost My Virtual Machine - What Do I Do?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by clairenoyeslouie, Apr 16, 2008.

1. clairenoyeslouie

clairenoyeslouie Bit poster

I have Parallels Desktop 3.0 Build 5584 installed on my Intel Imac with Leopard. All of a sudden my old Virtual Machine which I've been using for about a year is no longer there. In place of it, when I launch Parallels Desktop is a box which says "New Virtual Machine" under that it says "Other OS" "Stopped". Under Configuration it only has one entry "Memory 4MB" When I click the green triangle to start I get a message saying that no devices are attached to the machine. In short, how do I get my previous Virtual Machine back? I am a novice user. Thank you.

2. clairenoyeslouie

clairenoyeslouie Bit poster

Ended up deleting parallels from my mac. Did a clean install of Parallels 3 (Customer Service gave me my two key numbers from parallels 2 and parallels 3) downloaded new version from the net and then reinstalled Windows XP. Not only completely solved my problem but also increased my VM size from the original 7gb up to 38gb. Reloaded all my backups and am now good to go - even better than before. Thanks Parallels!

3. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

great you had a back up

I keep my data in shared folders which keeps the Vm lean and mean

I clone the whole VM every weekend as a back up too

when my macBook Pro HD got full, I started running my VM from external La Cie fire Wire 800 hard disks

Hugh W

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008