Mac App or Windows App in Menu - which is which?

gugus2000

Bit poster
When I allow opening documents from Windows with Mac Apps and vice-versa I can control-click on a file on the Mac side and get an "open with..." menu. This shows entries for Mac as well as Windows apps. Eg. it shows open with... "Microsoft Word / Pages / Microsoft Word / Open Office". MS Word is there twice, one entry for the installed Word on the Mac side the other for Word on the PC side. However which is which?? I often pick the wrong one and Parallels is starting Windows. Is there a way to tag the menu entries with plattform info? And what if I had two different Windows installations? The menu entry might be there 3 times.

Thanks for listening (and any help :-)
 
I am having an issue that when I open an email attachment or other word document in MAC OS, it opens Parallels to run the VM MSWord automatically. I found the solution below posted, however I could never find the "change all" feature, so I have to do it every time. When I use "open with" I get 2 word programs, like you said, but they show different icons, one being the mac icon, one being the windows version, so that is how I know which to choose.


Since installing Parallels 3.0 all Entourage attachments open in the Windows
> Virtual Machine instead of using Microsoft Word for Mac. How do I set the
> Mac version of Word as the default to open these and other attachments. I
> using Microsoft Entourage 2004.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Arnie

Does it only happen with certain attachments (such as Microsoft Office
files)? Drag one of these attachments to the Desktop, select it and
ctrl-/right-click it. Click on "Get Info" from the contextual menu, and make
sure the "Open With" section is expanded. Select the Macintosh program you
would like to open these files with, then hit "Change all". From now on,
documents in that file format will be opened with the application you've
just specified. Note that you will repeat this procedure for every kind of
file that opens in the virtual machine instead of Mac OS X. In other words,
if you've just told Mac OS X to open Word files with Mac Word, you will need
to repeat the same procedure with other files, such as Excel, PowerPoint and
so on.

--
Michel Bintener
Microsoft MVP
Office:Mac (Entourage & Word)
 
Back
Top