MAC Excel Not Responding After VM Created

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by bob.petersen, Oct 5, 2006.

1. bob.petersen

bob.petersen Bit poster

I was just able to get a Windows XP VM created and running on my MacBook Pro. I now have a problem with Excel operating in my Mac OS. When I open Excel I get the spinning beach ball whenever i click on anything in Excel and I can't work on the files. I have to Force Quit to get out. I've looked through the forum but haven't found this topic.

2. constant

constant Forum Maven

That will definately be a problem with Excel. The reason you didn't find anything with search, is because it runs perfectly for everyone else. Re-installing Excel or office, should make it better.

3. BlueSkyISdotCOM

BlueSkyISdotCOM Member

I agree. I run all Office apps alongside Parallels with no problems on Macbook Pro and Mac Pro.

4. davide

davide Member

This is more likely a Rosetta issue than a Parallels issue. MS Office apps aren't universal binaries and have troubles occasionally. When a Rosetta app hangs, go to a terminal (in OS X) and enter:

sudo killall translated

And then your password.

5. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

At the risk of stating the obvious, how much memory do you have on your Mac Pro? The reason I ask is that I started out with 512MB on my iMAC and when I had iphoto, itunes, quicken, and Word all going at the same time, sometimes an application would just hang (this was before I installed Parallels). Or I could click on it in the dock and it would never load. When I put in 2GB of memory, this problem disappeared.