Mac freezes when starting Parallels 3.0

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by safirein, Jun 17, 2007.

1. safirein

safirein Bit poster

I successfully installed 3.0 update and ran windows xp several times -- very smooth. Now today when I launch parallels and click the green arrow (windows xp is in suspended mode) my new MacBook Pro (LED) totally freezes. I need to hold power button for the computer to reboot.

Any ideas of what is happening?

Craig

2. SnakeDiver

SnakeDiver Member

Have you tried waiting a few minutes (2 - 5) to see if Windows boots and Mac OS X unlocks? I have a similar problem with 3212, where Mac OS X locks up during Windows boot, but manages to unfreeze itself when Windows hits the desktop.

3. safirein

safirein Bit poster

I didn't wait as the cursor was frozen so I figured the mac had crashed. Is this how it is with you?

4. pan

pan Junior Member

If it is an upgrade install (2.5 to 3.0) or a brand new install you may have to be a little patient with the load process. You do need to install the new set of Parallels tools.

I had a crash the first time I loaded a VM with 3.0. It cleared itself after I launched the Parallels program and not double clicking the VM icon. I sellected a VM. Then I chose the menu item prepare for new tools.

It has worked like a charm since.