Mac loses wifi network access after starting Windows 10 VM in Parallels 11

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by MichaelW7, Sep 14, 2015.

1. MichaelW7

MichaelW7 Bit poster

This is a new one. After updating to Parallels Desktop Pro 11, my Windows 10 guest VM works quite well. But I've found that as soon as I start the VM, my Macbook Pro's host OS X 10.10.5 suddenly can no longer access the wifi network. The Windows 10 Guest OS accesses wifi just fine.

When I shut the VM down, the host OS still cannot access wifi. The only way to regain access is to reboot the Mac host OS.

The problem happens whether the Windows 10 VM network settings are set to bridged/default or bridged/wi-fi.

2. MichaelW7

MichaelW7 Bit poster

When the VM's network settings are set to "shared network", the host can still access the network.
    If I then shutdown the VM, change to one of the "bridged" options and restart the VM, the host OS can no longer access the network and the machine must be rebooted.

It does not seem to be possible for both the host OS and the guest OS to share the wifi in "bridged" mode. This is a HUGE problem for me, as my development flow requires both OSes to have simultaneous access to the network.

This was not a problem in Parallels 10.

The problem is not limited to Windows 10. I have tested my Windows 8.1 VM, and when it, too, is set to bridged networking, the host cannot access the network via wifi.

I have no ethernet adapter handy, so I cannot test it with ethernet.

After reproducing the problem, I tried to use the "Help > Send Technical Data..." to issue the problem report, but since the host OS has lost access to the network, Parallels cannot send the report. I've zipped up the report folder, but it is 10MB in size. Is there an alternate way to send the report?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  3. jlyman

jlyman Bit poster

I'm having a very similar issue with a slightly different resolution. I have Parallels 10.2.2 (build 29105) running on a host with OS X 10.10.5 and a Windows 10 VM, with the VM set to use a bridged network. Half the time I have no connectivity problems from either the host or guest, but the other half of the time, without any warning, the network connectivity will die on the host, but remain just fine on the guest.

My resolution so far has been to suspend the Win 10 VM, turn off and on my Mac's wireless adapter, and reconnect. It usually takes a couple minutes before it will reconnect (OS X complains about not being able to join the network), but after a bit of hassle it will reconnect. I'll start up the VM again and be fine for a while, until it decides to cut off host network access again (though it always remains fine on the guest).

Kind of driving me a bit crazy as I too must have the guest be directly on the network with its own IP for development, would love to know of any solutions.

4. cmliao

cmliao Bit poster

Is it solved???
    I'm having the same trouble and it is utterly annoying. thought to add to this post so this issue get noticed by the staff from parallels
    Reboot isn't the right solution.

Hope someone could help...

5. NealC1

NealC1 Bit poster

I have this problem too. It normally happens after the mac has woken from sleep or sometimes when the network changes wifi.
    It is very annoying.
    You don't need to restart the mac, but you do need to change the VM to use shared network and then back to bridged network. This resets the network stack by the looks of it.
    Parallels people > do you have a fix for this? Running latest sierra and parallels 12, etc.

6. Claude_Brulotte

Claude_Brulotte Bit poster

Still the same problem with Parallels 12 and OS X Sierra 10.12.1, Mid 2015 Macbook Pro (All the latest Win10 patch).
    I have to connect my Win10 VM with a USB ethernet adapter.
    If I put the VM in Bridged mode on Wifi, the OS X Host loses Wifi connection. It's been like that since upgrade to Parallels 11....
    Very annoying !

7. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hello Claude_Brulotte, please check out the instructions outlined at this article and let us know how it works.

8. Bill&

Bill& Bit poster

I am having this issue as well. Every time the I open the virtual machine the mac os looses internet and i have to restart the system. This was not an issue until I upgraded either to 13 or to High Sierra. I am unsure which one of these actually caused the issue or if to was a combination of both. I do not use a Cisco router so the above does not make sense for me. This was never an issue before the upgrade. I also need to have access simultaneously for the work I do.

9. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @Bill& , please go to Devices > Network > and select Default Adapter (Bridge) and check if that helps.

10. JamesB11

JamesB11 Bit poster

I'm continuing to have this problem. I've set the Default Adapter setup. Any other thoughts?

11. StephenH19

StephenH19 Bit poster

This is an old thread with no real resolution. I tried the resolution at: https://kb.parallels.com/117191 but I'm not running anything CISCO specific.

I'm using Parallels Desktop 14 for MAC Business Edition. When in "Shared Network (Recommendation)" everything works except for SCMM on Windows. I have to swtich to Bridge mode to get software updates from SCMM but Bridge Mode only last for a few Minutes before the MAC drops my wifi connection. Help!?!?!

12. PatrickG13

PatrickG13 Bit poster

Having the exact same issue. I do not have access to the Cisco APs here at work, the above fix doesn't help me.

My work around is right-clicking the VM in my dock, Devices / Network / Bridges Network (Wi-Fi) / set it to something else, like Ethernet. Give it about 10-15 seconds, then change it back to Wi-Fi. Much quicker than rebooting, but would be great if I didn't have to do this.

13. PrasadU

PrasadU Bit poster

Same issue with latest MacOS Catalina 10.15.5 and Parallels 15.1.4 on my Macbook Pro 15" laptop. After starting ANY of my 3 Windows VMs (Windows 10, Windows 7, Windows Server 2012 R2), internet stops working for both the VM as well as the host Mac after a couple of minutes. When I shutdown the VM, internet continues to be off. Finally when I shutdown the Parallels Desktop app, internet starts working again on the Mac!

Have tried the following with no success:
    1. Switched between Shared Network, Bridged Default, Bridged Wifi, etc.
    2. Switched Network adapters for the VM from Intel 10/100 to the other 3
    3. Reinstalled Parallels Tools
    4. Ran "sudo ifconfig awdl0 down" in terminal
    5. Made sure Parallels Desktop has appropriate permissions under Mac System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Accessibility, Full Disk Access, Files & Folders
    6. Deleted /Library/Preferences/Parallels/network.desktop.xml (this is on the advice of Parallels Support)
    Once internet stops working, the only way to fix I have found it to completely exit all VMs and the Parallels Desktop app. Or of course reboot the Mac.
    Curiously, I also have a different iMac where the same VMs work flawlessly. Its also running the same version of MacOS and Parallels.

I have already opened a ticket and sent in a Technical Report. Will post here if I get a solution. I'm discouraged by the fact that I'm seeing posts with the same issue going back all the way to 2015 with no solutions. Hoping someone else has a solution.

14. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

You have contacted us by creating a support ticket and the logs are now investigated. You will get the update through an email.

15. mark41

mark41 Bit poster

Identical issue - with 10.15.5 and 15.1.4 on Macbook Air.. I fix it by changing between the bridged and the default adapter for wifi but it is very frustrating.

16. JoeyL3

JoeyL3 Bit poster

***Me too!! I sat on hold for a chuck of time today with no answer.

17. CeacaB

CeacaB Bit poster

Same problem for me also (Macbook Pro 13", MacOS Catalina 10.15.5 and Parallels 15.1.4). I tried even an hotspot with my iPhone, but no result, only if I choose over USB cable then it goes. I have to do the same shutdown the VM, shutdown the Parallels Desktop app and then I have wifi connection.

18. Hello guys, this issue is currently under investigation with the Parallels Engineering Team.
    Once we get any updates from them we will contact you here or by email.

19. DivWHN02

DivWHN02 Bit poster

I am currently having this issue too with Parallels Desktop 15.1.4 under MacOS 10.15.5.

As soon as I boot up any VM, the Internet connection breaks down both in the host MacOS system as well as in the virtual machine. This happens both in Shared Network as well as in Bridged Mode. The Internet connection is recovered once Parallels and all virtual machines are fully shut down.

This is really frustrating and hinders my work significantly. I would appreciate a follow-up on this.

20. PrasadU

PrasadU Bit poster

Any updates on this? The app is basically unusable at this point and there isn't even an ETA for a fix! I use this for my work and this is seriously affecting my productivity. Not acceptable! May have to start looking at VMWare Fusion though I much prefer Parallels.