Mac loses wifi network access after starting Windows 10 VM in Parallels 11

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by MichaelW7, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Issue is still under investigation with the Parallels Engineering Team.
    They are continually working on issue that are escalated from our Support Team; however do not share an ETA for fix until one is available.
    Thank you for understanding.

2. PrasadU

PrasadU Bit poster

Anyone else with this issue on Netgear Orbi router? Just trying to eliminate commonalities.

3. JosephV1

JosephV1 Bit poster

Same issue parallels 15.1.4 and Catalina. I'll keep an eye out here for a fix but discouraged by the length of time this thread has been active.

4. PrasadU

PrasadU Bit poster

Parallels 16 just came out. I'm going to install that and see if it fixes the issue.

5. PrasadU

PrasadU Bit poster

Confirmed, Parallels 16 seems to resolve the issue at least for me. Possibly in conjunction with the latest Catalina 10.15.6 supplemental update which had some references to VM apps.

6. RobertR25

RobertR25 Bit poster

I am running Parallels 16.0.0 and latest Catalina 10.15.6, and now suddenly have this exact issue. Never had it before (been using Parallels about 6 years). I believe it started after Catalina latest update auto installed. Any solution from Parallels on this? I'll try shutting down the VM and Parallels desktop and restarting both. Hopefully it works.

7. Hello, does the issue still actual?

8. PeteD4

PeteD4 Bit poster

This issue has happened in the past and just happened today with a relatively fresh install (new MacBook Pro 16" 2019 a fews days old; new install of Parallels 16.0.1)
    With Windows VM running I noticed no network on the Mac. Ping to my wireless router gives "Request timeout for icmp_seq #".
    Once I shutdown Windows and closed Parallels I found network on the Mac returned.

9. What type of the network you're using on your VM? Is it bridged or shared? Did you test both network types?

10. PeteD4

PeteD4 Bit poster

I assume it is bridged. The 'Source' field at Configure/Network is set to 'Wi-Fi'. I have just changed to a Shared Network and will see if the problem recurs. Thank you.

11. If the issue reoccurs please collect the tech report right after that and post the report's ID here.

12. kamran1

kamran1 Bit poster

hey guys!!!
    I was able to find a fix for this.
    While it is not entirely a solution - it will allow you to use parallels with both OS having access to WiFi.

So I purchased Parallels 16 and somehow this problem started happening last week. Before that - it was working fine.

To solve this problem I googled "Parallels download" and downloaded Parallels 15 and started using the trial 14 days.

Since I purchased parallels somewhat recently - I will request to be refunded for Parallels 16 IF the parallels engineer who I was talking to is not able to provide a solution.

Then I will use Parallels 15.

And I'm not sure but I believe if you were a previous client of Parallels then the upgrade is cheaper. So periodically I'll check to see if Parallels 16 has this problem solved.

Just fyi btw that I am using Big Sur Beta 11.0

This is my first time posting a solution online - so if this helped you, please 'like' this post.

13. kamran1

kamran1 Bit poster

if you have the subscription then apparently you don't need to use the trial version. You will have access to all version of Parallels.

14. mark41

mark41 Bit poster

I finally fixed this by un-installing a Citrix Gateway virtual VPN adaptor. At least I have an answer