Mac OS upgrade to Mojave breaks legacy activation key

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by dumpy, Mar 6, 2022.

1. dumpy

dumpy Bit poster

Hello!
    background: bought Parallels (V11?)in 2016 for a macbookPro 2.5GHz, 16Gb ram.
    Feb 2022, I upgraded the mac operating system from ..ahhh ..the "sand dunes" version to the current Mojave version- (an OS upgrade is something i don't do often).
    When I tried to fire up Parallels, a message box saying something like: the version of parallels would not work with Mojave OS, so I downloaded ParallelsDesktop17 .dmg and installed.
    When i put the license key in for my original software, it had a green tick mark but when i hit enter i received message: "Activation Key cannot be used to activate Parallels Desktop".
    Q: Did i download the wrong software?
    Q:Can my existing legacy license be honored?
    Any help muchly appreciated!
    D

2. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

3. dumpy

dumpy Bit poster

Thanks for the speedy response! I have two follow up questions about what happens in the upgrade process:
    • If i purchase the parallels desktop 17 upgrade, do i
      • use my legacy license as part of the upgrade
      • simply get an upgraded key and activate the parallels that i just installed? (I ask this because i doubt i can revert to old version11).
    • can you provide a link to the Parallels Desktop 17 upgrade
    thanks, D

4. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hello, in the upgrade process you will be needing your previous version license key for activating upgrade key. Please refer to this KB article for upgrading to the latest version of Parallels Desktop.

5. dumpy

dumpy Bit poster

Thankyou, succesful upgrade!
    i followed the KB article you shared, and installed the dmg...(also appreciate the backup of prev. PVMs), & when the time came to apply license, i used the old one, which was not valid as before, so then i followed the 'buy' button and found the upgrade tab, purchased and received a new license, which i pasted into the license screen over the top of the old license - & everything looks happy now!
    Thanks for your support! D

6. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hello, I am happy to assist you. Please reach us back for any further queries.