Mac OS X System Shortcuts Not Working as in Previous Parallels Versions

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by SharelC, Apr 29, 2012.

1. SharelC

SharelC Bit poster

I have been using Parallels software to virtually run Windows XP for six years, beginning with version 3.0. My workflow is built around accessing frequently-used Mac OS applications using my function keys (F1, F2, F3, etc. and combinations with Shift, Command, and Control keys). For example, F1 = Mail, F2 = Safari, F3 = Parallels, F4 = FileMaker Pro, etc.

I originally posted this problem when I upgraded from Parallels 5 to Parallels 6, and could find no resolution. I downgraded to version 5 to avoid "breaking" my workflow.

However, now I am faced with upgrading to Mac OS 10.8, having to upgrade Parallels, and hoping that Parallels 7 would have fixed the following problem.

Previously, when I would push a function key, the application in Mac OS would open, and NO action was taken in my Windows XP environment.

Now, it switches to the appropriate application in Mac OS, but the key press leaves residual results in Windows. If I push F1, Mail opens, but a Help window opens in Windows. I don't want to have to close a Help window or "undo" whatever other action has initiated by pushing my F-key shortcuts every time I return to my Windows environment in Parallels.

I have the box clicked for "Enable Mac OS X system shortcuts." And the shortcuts work as expected. I just want to alleviate the unwanted action in Windows.

Does anyone have a fix? Or is this a bug in the behavior in newer versions of Parallels software (6 and 7)?

2. SharelC

SharelC Bit poster

I have found a workaround.

I currently use the program Key Remapper in Windows XP. I have set it to disable all of the function keys. So, for example, when I press F1, Mail.app opens in Mac OS and the Help window does NOT open in Windows.