Mac Pro bridging internet problems...

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by maddogjwn13, Sep 2, 2006.

1. maddogjwn13

maddogjwn13 Bit poster

I have a new Mac Pro and I keep getting errors with bridging my internet connection saying that the IP address is already in use by another computer on the network. The one assigned to the Windows XP vm I'm trying to use is identical to the Mac's IP address. How can I solve this? Will it be solved in the update?

2. joem

joem Forum Maven

You haven't provided much information about your setup, but assuming you are using ethernet, you can get an IP within your segment's range that isn't being used by anything else, and hard code it into XP. Most home networks use 192.168.x.y for IP, where x is 0, 1, or 2, and y is in the range of 0..255 with y=1 usually the gateway address. Most routers will assign IP addresses via DHCP from a pool of 20-30 addresses taken from the range of y=2..255. If you can discover what that pool is, and pick a value just outside that range, above if possible, you should be able to get q connection. You will have to hard code the IP, the net mask, typically 255.255.255.0, the gateway, typically 192.168.x.1 where x is the same as the OSX value, and also a DNS address copied from OSX.

If you are using Airport, you will need to change the Parallels MAC (as opposed to Mac) address to something unused on your network, then DHCP should work.