MacBook Pro fans run excessively fast under XP

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by johnelstad, Jul 9, 2007.

1. johnelstad

johnelstad Bit poster

I'm running XP using Parallels 3214. As soon as XP starts, my laptop fans speed up to about 5,000 RPM and stay at that speed for as long as XP is running, regardless of the CPU load, its temperature, or the external temperature. Any thoughts? The constant whine of the fans spinning close to full speed is getting annoying.

2. Steeeve

Steeeve Junior Member

I have the exact same problem. It probably has something to do with that fact that Windows XP does not know that it is running on a laptop via Parallels, and thus is not optimized for the hardware. I may be wrong though.

3. Robster

Robster Hunter

I know this does not really help but XP on my MacBook Pro does not cause this problem.

I just checked and my fans are running at about 1100 rpm.

Robin

4. w7ox

w7ox Hunter

In WinXP have you gone into the Power options of Control Panel and set any of the options there for machine configuration and power management?

Phil

5. David5000

David5000 Pro

More details, please. (Which laptop? Which OS? What is your RAM allocation between VM and host OS? Are you using Boot Camp? What is the size of your VM? Expanding or fixed? Size of your Mac HD and amount of data on it?)

David