MacBook Pro is a 7200RPM faster

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Marketsync, May 28, 2008.

1. Marketsync

Marketsync Bit poster

Is using a 7200 RPM drive with Paralles on MacBook Pro much faster? My Back bok has the slower 5400 drive. And it seems when parallels is running there is a lot of disk activity.

I use Parallels on an IMac and it seems much faster.

2. fbronner

fbronner Pro

Hi,

How much memory do you have? If you only have 1Gb, increasing to 2 will make quite a dramatic difference before investing in a faster HD. Make sure you have at least 1 Gb more then the amount you have reserved for your virtual machines.

3. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

I run my VM off an external firewire HD

when there is a lot of disk activity it is either a scheduled ante virus scan or auto downloading WinXP and other updates

Hugh W

4. Marketsync

Marketsync Bit poster

I have 2 gig of ram. I have 1gig allocated to Parallels. It just seems like there is a lot of disk writting. I was just curious if a faster HD would make it faster.

It's a 2.33ghz, 2gig of ram with 100gig 5400rpm drive.

5. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

It's probably the dreaded index service.

More important in speed terms is having your VM in a different physical disk than your OSX system since otherwise you have two OSs competing for the same drive.

6. rbh

rbh Member

I have 4GB RAM, allocate 1536MB RAM to my VM in Parallels and run it all off a 160GB 7200rpm HDD. It flies. :)

In fact it runs Vista faster than my colleagues can on dedicated hardware. Definitely turn off indexing, restore points, hibernation and screensavers in the VM for added pep...

7. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

For optimization please also check this

1. Perform Mac and Windows side disk defragmentation http://www.xvsxp.com/system/system_tools_defrag.php
    2. enable Intel VT-x support on Parallels Desktop -<Virtual Machine name>-Edit-Virtual Machine-Options -Advanced
    3. Disable Themes in Windows XP serives.msc stop Themes service