MacBook won't sleep--is Parallels responsible?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by chabig, Mar 27, 2007.

1. nitschi

nitschi Bit poster

I'm experiencing the exact same problems with Parallels and OS X.

After installing Parallels Desktop last week (most actual build) my MacBook simply "refused" to shut down or reboot. Even after some "hard" shutdowns (holding down the power button) and reboots I couldn't get rid of the problem. Whether or not Parallels or any VM was running.

After I did some research via Google I removed the Parallels folders from Library/StartupItems and turned the MacBook off (by holding down the power button again). I restarted and without the Parallels-StartupItems my MacBook shuts down and restarts like a charm.

Downside: Parallels stopped working without those StartupItems. Now I can decide wether

a) to have working MacBook which can shut down, reboot and wake up from sleep mode
    or
    b) to have a working Parallels

Great.... :( Maybe the developers can take a look into this, it definitely has something to do with those StartupItems.... at least on my MacBook (OS X 10.5.1 and 10.5.2 show the same behaviour).

2. nitschi

nitschi Bit poster

Sorry for "pushing" this thread, but did anyone ever came to any solution??

3. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Nitschi,

The issue might happen not only with Parallels but with different Mac applications as well. When you encounter the problem, please perform a "hard" shutdown, then repair disk permissions on Mac and reinstall Parallels.

Best regards,
    Xenos

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  4. nitschi

nitschi Bit poster

Hi Xenos,

thanks for your reply and the suggestion. I will try it a bit later and post the results here! :)