Manual setting the drive letter of shared folders

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by yoavhacohen, Nov 22, 2008.

1. yoavhacohen

yoavhacohen Bit poster

I have 3 partitions and DVD on my MBP:
    1. Macintosh HD (HFS+)
    2. Data (FAT32) - This partition contains all my documents
    3. Windows (NTFS)

From the boot camp, the drive letters of this partitions are:
    C: Windows
    D: Data
    E: DVD

In the virtual machine (PD4 over bootcamp) the letters of these partitions are:
    C: Windows
    D: DVD
    \\.PSF\Data as shared folder which I can manually map to a drive letter (other than D)

If I manually set the DVD drive letter from the "Computer Management" in windows, it changed again after restarting the windows as boot camp.

I want that drive letters on PD4 will be the same as on my BootCamp.

This required that the DVD drive will never mapped to D:.

It will be great if you add the option to set the drive letter for each partition/shared folder.

Thanks,
    Yoav

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Please check following option Configure -Shared Folders -Map folders to drive letters
    And also you can change drive letter for CD in Disk management console, and remap network drive to D:

3. FireClown

FireClown Member

John: I'm trying to do what I think is the same thing, but I'm not having any luck. I have four SMB network shares connected on my Mac. I'm having problems where if I map a drive letter directly to the server in Windows (\\server\share instead of \\.psf\share), then access it in Windows, my Mac connections to the same shares lock up.

In order to avoid mapping directly to the server, I want to reassign the drive letters that parallels has assigned to those shares through .psf connections. Currently Parallels puts them in T: through W:. I want to change that to the drive letters used by my other systems. I can manually assign the drive letters easily enough, but Parallels keeps mapping them to the letters it wants even though I have disabled the "map folders to drive letters" setting. Basically, I end up with double the number of drive letter assignments which is slowing some operations to a crawl.

How do I get Parallels to quit assigning drive letters so I can let my manual assignments take over? The "map folders for drive letters" setting seems ineffective for this. (I've tried toggling that setting and then restarting Windows, restarting the VM, and restarting Parallels, all to no avail.)

4. FireClown

FireClown Member

Based on some more playing around with settings and mappings, I've come to the conclusion that there is simply no way to force Parallels to stop mapping connected drives/shares. No matter the state of the map drive letters setting, Parallels always maps all connected USB drives and all connected network shares to seemingly random drive letter assignments. If the exact same shares are not available at VM startup, it will map the various connected drives to different drive letters than the last time. The only difference when mapping drive letters is toggled on is that the local Mac drive is added to the mix.

Somebody please prove me wrong on this. It's really not how I want this to behave and the lag caused by doubling up the connected network shares to get the proper drive letter assignments is driving me nuts.

5. EinarI

EinarI Bit poster

6. Daniel Brashler

Daniel Brashler Bit poster

Drive Sharing/Mapping

I'm at the end of my rope with this "feature" as well. I'm attempting to *stop* the system from automatically mapping every single Mac-mounted drive into the VM. It automatically assigns letters from the back of the alphabet, and those are ones I want to use for something else. No amount of resetting this in the configuration for the VM, shutting down Parallels, restarting, editing the .pvs file or what has any affect whatsoever.

BIG PAIN IN THE AXE. This *feature* needs to be fixed.

7. TotalConfusion

TotalConfusion Bit poster

Has this been fixed yet?

I'm using Parallels Build 6.0.12106.

Every time I start up Parallels it assigns a different drive letter to an USB external drive I have plugged in. This is driving me nuts, as a CAD program I use all day every day has preset routes for various files types (eg: program files, library files, user files, etc). To set these in the first place you browse to the relevant folders and set the path. Trouble is next time you start up parallels, the drive letter has changed, so therefore none of the previously set paths are valid.

I can't find anywhere to force a letter onto a shared drive and have it stick 100% of the time.
    Configure > Sharing > Shared Folders > Custom Folders allows to add a shared folder, but not assign a letter. And I cant find anywhere else that would allow such a thing.

Any possibility for this please???

8. liqiao

liqiao Bit poster

The only difference when mapping drive letters is toggled on is that the local Mac drive is added to the mix.

9. TotalConfusion

TotalConfusion Bit poster

Still confused

liqiao, Sorry I have no idea what you mean or how this relates to this issue. Are you able to expand a little on what you are saying?

10. louie1555

louie1555 Bit poster

me too having the same problem can any one suggest me how to rectify it ?