Mapped drives Dropping

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by westdaz, Jun 18, 2007.

1. westdaz

westdaz Bit poster

After installing Parallels 3.0, my mapped drives keep dropping. Is this a known bug?

2. Ankou

Ankou Guest

Hello,

Please provide the following information:
    1)Internet link to that device`s info page(may be a store site or product page on manufacturer `s site)

2)The full model name.

3)The description of the device(Basic usability and instructions on how to set it up in the Windows environment).

We`ll test your device and will make it functional in our future versions.

3. westdaz

westdaz Bit poster

MacBook Pro
    2 Ghz Duo Core Intel
    2 Gig Memory
    Running Win XP Sp2
    Mapping drive to Windows 2000 server . \\servername\drive

4. nycruza

nycruza Hunter

If you are trying to map directly, I might suggest another approach.

First SHARE the drives using the Parallels Configuration manager.

Now map the shared drive.

I found this the easiest and best way and it avoids any USB connection problems.

ajm

5. westdaz

westdaz Bit poster

I am using Win XP, running on my Macbook Pro, under Parallels. I map a Drive to a local Windows 2000 server using \\servername\drive. It works for a while, then the next time i want to use it, it has dropped. Have to redo the mapping.
    Not trying to use a USB connection. Before on Parallels 3188, using the same procedure, it didn't drop this mapping .

6. Reed

Reed Bit poster

Hello,

I have a customer who I support who is having a similar problem. They have some Dells with XP SP2 and they have the Mac 17" Intel Core 2 Duo running Parallels (latest version of 2.x and then upgraded them to 3.0 as well -- it happens in both.)

The difference to westdaz description, is that I am sharing a folder on the Intel iMac and two "real" PC's have that folder "mapped" as their W drive. The "real" PC's are able to map the drive, but shortly after getting the map it drops, or receives a "red X" through its icon, suggesting it is disconnected. If you click on it, sometimes it mounts, sometimes it throws an error dialogue box indicating the drive is unreachable.

To regression test this, I removed the map, but made a shortcut to the shared folder. That allows the "real PC" to form the connection.

The application that needs the share is a shared database application. You launch the app on the "real PC" and it reads the data on the shared drive (remember, on the Intel iMac running parallels with XP, sharing the folder.)

So the app launches, sees the drive map, finds the datafiles, and is happy. BUT, it is happy for about 2 or 3 minutes, and then the app throws an internal error dialogue at you, and essentially the app hangs and you cannot continue to run the app.

so, i have a customer who used to do this on their "real PC" installation, and they are pretty upset it is not working on the "switcher" setup they are migrating to. Anyone else on this bleeding edge yet?

Thanks,
    Reed