Massive Memory Use Difference on Similar Platforms

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Gerald Cox, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Gerald Cox

Gerald Cox Junior Member

I have Parallels 3 running on 2 XServes 2Ghz Dual Core with 1 GB RAM.

The default memory allocation for Parallels was 704mb.

On both XServes, the real memory use is around 470-500mb....

However, on one, the CPU% is 135%, the other is only 35%....a massive difference.

On similar platforms, shouldn't the CPU use be similar?? If so, is there a way to cause them to be the same?

cheers

Jerry

2. fbronner

fbronner Pro

What about the VM you are running on both? Are they exactly the same? Are you running both virtual machines at the same time? If you have copied the same VM machine to both environment, and are running them at the same time make sure you have different MAC address for both machines, you might be causing a network conflict between the 2 machines.

By the way 1 GB for the machines is not enough to run Parallel and OS X, you will run into a lot of disk swapping issues. You should have 2Gb to run both the VMs and OS X.

3. Gerald Cox

Gerald Cox Junior Member

I have completely separate and distinct VM's created uniquely. Never even thought about copying though. No Windowze XP software running on the VM.... All I do is start both up and revioew the processor use.

I will try increasing the memory but that doesn't answer the "why". Both VM's ar running at the same time on separate machines, both set up exactly the same way....

4. fbronner

fbronner Pro

Try making sure that you are not sharing either the windows drive on the xserve or the mac drive on windows.

Also make sure you have the exact same windows services running, firewall, uPnp etc..

The only times I had 135% on my VM was during the install when it was downloading and installing all the patches.