Maximum OpenGL version supported

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by HairyP, Feb 25, 2023.

Tags:
  1. HairyP

HairyP Bit poster

I'm porting my program to Windows and while on my Mac M1 the OpenGL version returned is "4.1 Metal - 83" but on Parallels it says "3.3 Metal - 83" and sure enough I'm getting errors because the GLSL version is too old for my shaders.

Does this mean Parallels only support OpenGL 3.3? This has broken my program which I can fix but I imagine this is going to break untold numbers of other programs.

2. Mikhail Ushakov

Mikhail Ushakov Parallels Team

Hello.
    Yes, Parallels Desktop supports OpenGL up to OpenGL3.3.
    Would you provide us with more details about the programs that require OpenGL of a higher version? How often do you use them, how critical is it for you?

3. HairyP

HairyP Bit poster

Well OpenGL has different features for different versions so if your program relies on a feature released after 3.3 you need to rewrite parts of it to support the older API. My particular program only used one critical feature from 4.1 so it was not a big deal but this will certainly break many other programs since even 4.1 is over 10 years old now. Are their plans to support a newer version than 3.3?

4. Mikhail Ushakov

We do have some plans :) Would you tell me the app's name and how often you use it, for what purposes?
    I'm asking this to better understand your user journey.

5. HairyP

HairyP Bit poster

Oh I'm sorry this is just a hobby project (Bubble Bobble clone game) but it's of no consequence to anyone. :)

Now that I write this though Sublime Text's hardware renderer requires OpenGL 4.1 also but they previously had a software renderer so they can fall back to that. Otherwise I haven't used Parallels enough to know what else is broken.

6. Mikhail Ushakov

Thank you a lot! I've passed these details on to our Product Management Team. Stay tuned!

7. JohannesS10

JohannesS10 Bit poster

I am an acoustics engineer and desperatly waiting for OpenGL 4 or higher support. I actually need this for my daily use which now must down with two computers. Can you tell me, what the plans are and within what period of time we can expect soemthing? Like this spring, summer, autumn, winter,...? Next year, in 3 years,... Would be great to have a reference point.
    Thanks a lot! :)

8. JohannesS10

JohannesS10 Bit poster

must be done*

9. Adeboye Adeotan

Adeboye Adeotan Staff Member

Hello Johannes,

Due to the complexity of the software, we are unable to provide an ETA at this point in time.
    However, you may please visit the link below and click on the "get updates" button to get prompt notifications of future updates. :)

https://kb.parallels.com/en/129060

10. JoeC15

JoeC15 Bit poster

Outdated OpenGL issues are specially present in 3D modeling and texturing apps like The Foundry's Mari, Topogun and 3D-Coat.
    Several boot flags have been tried but no luck, any workaround would be appreciated.

11. HughP1

HughP1 Bit poster

I have error about 'obsolete opengl version 3.3' when trying to run Space Engine in parallels.

12. DevinG4

DevinG4 Bit poster

I am also seeing issue with OpenGL 3.3 in a macOS (Sonoma). I am getting an error when trying to launch Kitty
    kitty
    [329 16:42:18.699787] [glfw error 65545]: NSGL: Failed to find a suitable pixel format
    [329 16:42:18.711569] [glfw error 65545]: NSGL: Failed to find a suitable pixel format
    [329 16:42:18.711921] Failed to create GLFW temp window! This usually happens because of old/broken OpenGL drivers. kitty requires working OpenGL 3.3 drivers.

13. Jean-PierreD2

Jean-PierreD2 Bit poster

I would like to have support of OpenGL 4.3+ on my MacBook Pro M1 for rviz2 or gazebo ignition under linux ubuntu 22.04.
    Asahi project succeeded to have OpenGL4.6 on M1/M2
    I would like to avoid to switch to Asahi to have OpenGL 4.6 and keep using parallels tools
    please do something

ChristianM7 likes this.
  14. ChristianM7

ChristianM7 Bit poster

It's time. The macOS virtualization on Apple Silicon is not satisfying so far and I'm already looking for Parallels alternatives.

Devs do something ... now!

15. AzureD

AzureD

It seems like Parallels might be limited to supporting OpenGL 3.3, which can affect programs relying on newer versions. This could potentially impact businesses like Azure Auto Detailing if they utilize applications that require higher OpenGL versions. It's crucial to consider compatibility when porting software across different platforms to ensure smooth operation across all systems.