McAfee endpoint encryption and virtual HDD

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by MartinZ4, Aug 27, 2017.

1. MartinZ4

MartinZ4 Bit poster

Hi
    I am using Windows 10 with McAfee endpoint encryption protection (company requirement). The only way to start/run the VM is to configure IDE 0:1 as virtual HDD. When I change to SATA 0:1 I get an error message like this:
    McAfee Drive Encryption
    Fatal Error: [0xEE020006] Getting disk info

I have updated to Parallels 13 and my silent hope was to change that behavior.
    Has someone an idea?

2. rkulikov

rkulikov Parallels Developers

So why don't you use IDE?

3. MartinZ4

MartinZ4 Bit poster

Parallels confirmed already the following:
    Based on our conversation, I understand that you are unable to open McAfee encrypted virtual machine through Sata drive.
    As we discussed, our Engineering team is working on it to fix this issue.

4. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Martin, we do work on this issue, however this is not the virtualization side which causes this issue. We have to collaborate with the encryption software vendor to make the fix possible, which makes it more complicated.
    Moreover, our paravirtualization driver provides equal disk performance regardless the interface type. So does McAfee work fine with the disk being connected over IDE?

5. williammasw

williammasw Bit poster

Seems incomprehensible to me. I have always been using Comodo Endpoint Protection and have never encountered such issues.

6. JoshuaS6

JoshuaS6 Bit poster

Just had this same issue happen when upgrading from v11 to v14. Had to roll back to v11 in order to recover the VM. Has a fix been found yet?

7. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Hi @JoshuaS6, no, the investigation is in progress yet. Is there a chance that you can share the virtual machine with us? Of course after removing all sensitive data from it.

8. ValentinC

ValentinC Bit poster

Same problem and this has been ongoing for years because I had the same issue 2 years ago. So today when I went back to Parallels 12 and Windows was able to launch without the McAfee error (after switching from SATA 0:1 to IDE 0:1, same technique didn't work on Parallels 14), I removed my Windows hostname from McAfee EPO server as well as uninstalled the McAfee agent from my Windows VM. Shut it down, installed Parallels 14 again, same McAfee error on both SATA or IDE. So I had no choice but to go back to version 12 for now despite I paid for upgrade to 14. I can't upgrade to Mojave. Not urgent but this should be resolved I hope even if your software engineers have to get with McAfee software engineers.

9. DennisM10

DennisM10 Bit poster

I am having the same issue an ValentinC above. I had to blackout of Parallels 14 and re-install Parallels 13. I set my HDD to IDE 0:1 and I am able to boot the McAFee Encrypted Windows 10 VM. I am running MoJave with Parallels 13 now.
    I have tried all of the HDD settings under Parallels 14 - none of the settings would work.

Parallels - anyway to get the IDE 0:1 working under Parallels 14 is I can get my Encrypted HDD to boot under Parallels 14?